Welcome to Rogue Squadron, pilot! In this series, we will be looking at different squadrons you can fly in Fantasy Flight Games X-Wing miniatures game. We give you the squad, what expansion pack all of the upgrades come from and then give you the low down on how best to fly it. Strap in and get ready to fly.
All Wings Report In
Scurrg H-6 Bomber “Captain Nym” (Scurrg H-6 Bomber Expansion) (47 pts) (PS 10)
Once per round, you may prevent a friendly bomb from detonating.
- Bomb- Bomblet Generator (Scurrg H-6 Bomber Expansion): When you reveal your maneuver, you may drop 1 Bomblet token. This token detonates at the end of the Activation phase.
- Bomblet Token: When this token detonates, each ship at Range 1 rolls 2 attack dice and suffers all damage () and critical damage () rolled. Then discard this token.
- Elite Pilot Talent- Veteran Instincts (Millenium Falcon/Slave-1/Sabine’s TIE/Shadowcaster Expansions): Increase your pilot skill value by 2.
- Salvaged Astromech- Genius (Most Wanted): If you are equipped with a bomb that can be dropped when you reveal your maneuver, you may drop the bomb after you execute your maneuver instead.
- System- Advanced Sensors (E-Wing/Lambda Shuttle): Immediately before you reveal your maneuver, you may perform 1 free action. If you use this ability, you must skip your “Perform Action” step during this round.
- Title- Havoc (Scurrg H-6 BomberExpansion): Your upgrade bar gains the Salvaged Astromech and System icons and loses the Crew upgrade icon. You cannot equip non-unique Salvaged Astromech Upgrade cards.
- Turret– Twin Laser Turret (K-Wing/TIE Aggressor Expansions): Attack (3, range 2-3): Perform this attack twice (even against a ship outside your firing arc). Each time this attack hits, the defender suffers 1 damage. Then cancel all dice results.
- Modification- Engine Upgrade (Hound’s Tooth/Millenium Falcon): Your action bar gains the Boost action icon.
K-Wing “Miranda Doni” (K-Wing Expansion) (50 pts) (PS 8)
Once per round when attacking, you may either spend 1 shield to roll 1 additional attack die or roll 1 fewer attack die to recover 1 shield.
- Bomb- Cluster Mines (Ghost/Imperial Veterans/TIE Punisher Expansions): Action: Discard this card to drop 3 cluster mine tokens. When a ship’s base or maneuver template overlaps a cluster mine token, that token detonates.
- Cluster Mines Tokens: When one of these bomb tokens detonates, the ship that moved through or overlapped this token rolls 2 attack dice and suffers 1 damage for each and rolled. Then discard that token.
- Bomb- Ion Bombs (K-Wing/TIE Punisher Expansions): When you reveal your maneuver dial, you may discard this card to drop 1 ion bomb token. This token detonates at the end of the Activation phase.
- Ion Bombs Token: When this bomb token detonates, each ship at Range 1 of the token receives 2 ion tokens. Then discard this token.
- Bomb- Thermal Detonator (Ghost/Quadjumper): When you reveal your maneuver dial, you may discard this card to drop 1 thermal detonator token. This token detonates at the end of the Activation phase.
- Thermal Detonator Token: When this bomb token detonates, each ship at Range 1 of the token suffers 1 damage and receives 1 stress token. Then discard this token.
- Crew- Sabine Wren (Ghost Expansion): Your upgrade bar gains the Bomb upgrade icon. Once per round, before a friendly bomb token is removed, choose 1 enemy ship at Range 1 of that token. That ship suffers 1 damage.
- Torpedo- Extra Munitions (K-Wing/TIE Punisher Expansions): When you equip this card, place 1 ordnance token on each equipped Bomb, Missile, and Torpedo Upgrade card. When you are instructed to discard an Upgrade card, you may discard 1 ordnance token on that card instead.
- Turret- Twin Laser Turret (K-Wing/TIE Aggressor Expansions): Attack (3, range 2-3): Perform this attack twice (even against a ship outside your firing arc). Each time this attack hits, the defender suffers 1 damage. Then cancel all dice results.
- Modification- Advanced SLAM (K-Wing Expansion): After performing a SLAM action, if you did not overlap an obstacle or another ship, you may perform a free action.
Lock S-Foils in Attack Position
Do you like bombs? Do you like feeling the hatred of your opponent? Then this list might be for you. I had a lot of fun flying this list, some of my opponents did not have a particularly good time flying against it. But for the first time after several years of playing X-wing I won a store championship (against a Fur Ship Rebels list no less).
This list is all about board control. With Nym’s ability to delay bomb detonation you can drop a bomb in your opponent’s path and then just keep it from going off until they fly into it. Thanks to Bomblet you can do this every round without worry about running out of bombs. This can really mess with your opponents flight plan, forcing them to take a bomb, run away or fly through the rocks. With your TLT’s you like to stay at range 3 anyways so you have a lot of options on where to put yourself and still get shots off.
Over the course of two store championships, I lost three games; twice to triple jumps and once to a five unguided rocket/LWG bomber swarm. Those two lists put out good damage and a crap ton of health. That is your main weakness; damage output is pretty poor. If you have to chew through 30pts of health in 75min you might be in trouble. You also can’t tank worth a damn so spike damage, like torpedoes, will mess you up. And while bombs are good, they are one to two damage at a time. Or none if your bomblet rolls are terrible. I once dropped a bomblet onto three ships and did zero damage (Sabine was already dead).
Miranda is pretty standard. She wants to pick at ships from long range, dropping bombs behind her to keep anyone from flying too close. Thanks to Nym, she can make great use of her bombs for board control as well. Using Thermals and Ion bombs you can set up a “no-go” zone where if your opponent decides to eat the bomb damage, they then have to deal with being stressed or ioned in a position that is hard to escape from.
Nym is your wildcard. Unlike Miranda, he does not have regen so will die pretty fast when he starts taking damage. However, with Advanced Sensors, innate barrel roll and Engine Upgrade for Boost, he can be incredibly slippery to pin down. Adding Genius on top of that means you can drop a bomb in so many places it is almost impossible for your opponent to avoid. One fun combo is to use Genius to drop your bomb after moving, hold it with Nym and the next round drop another bomblet on top of it. Thanks to being PS10 you will know that both bombs will go off on the same target(s).
There are a lot of ways to build this list. There are so many good upgrade slots. I originally took this list with Autoblaster/Accuracy Corrector combo on Nym. He’s a real danger to ships at close range. But I decided the TLT serves him better because he also dies really quickly at close range. Still made second in a store championship.
What bombs you take are really dealer’s choice. They are all good in the right circumstances. The first version I flew had Conner Net instead of Cluster Mines. Comboed with Ion bombs I ioned an almost full health Jumpmaster off the board. Fun times.
Advanced SLAM is probably something you want to switch out. The leaked FAQ indicates it won’t allow you to drop bombs after SLAMing anymore so what’s the point of it? Fortunately, I only really used ASLAM once to good effect in my games so you won’t miss it. Long Range Sensors would make a great option so Miranda can be a little more accurate. Or giving Miranda Vectored Thrusters to get some barrel rolls. Those would have come in handy a few times in my games.
Having an initiative bid is pretty important. You want Nym to move last so you can make full use of your maneuvering shenanigans to get the bomb in the perfect spot. With things like Poe/Rey being a thing 10/8 is pretty common. First time I flew this I did not have the three point initiative and lost the roll vs a Poe/Rey which made things tough.
Latest posts by Wayne Basta (see all)
- X-Wing Upgrade Guide- Elite Pilot Talent (1 Point) - October 18, 2017