Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Edge of The Empire

Post subject: Q-DJS (Quick and Dirty Jedi System)
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:40 pm 
Sith Lord

So, I've been working for some time now on a Jedi Career/Specialization concept for porting this system into other eras (but still keeping the general theme of "Edge"). It's still a ways out, mostly because I'm finding I'm too busy to actually test anything on it, but I have spawned an idea for introducing a fully-fledged Jedi into the mix with minimal effort. These rules attempt to keep with the traditional Jedi Guardian/Sentinel/Consular concept and their typical perceived "roles." Nothing too surprising or novel here :)

So here I present The Quick and Dirty Jedi System:

1. Make Lightsaber a skill to purchase.

2. Make a career called "Jedi." The Jedi career should have the following skills: Athletics, Coordination, Discipline, Leadership, Lightsaber, Knowledge (Education), Perception, Vigilance.

3. (This step involves a smidgen of work on the GM's part, but should be nearly plug-and-play) The Jedi career can have three specializations, each with an analog for already existing specializations. For example, Marauder or Bodyguard could be transformed to Guardian, Politico or Scholar could be made into Consular, Assassin or Thief could be renamed as Sentinel). When you do this, allow them to treat any talents that mention "Brawl or Melee checks" as if they said "Lightsaber checks." Consider also giving Lightsaber as a bonus skill to the Jedi Guardian specialization.

4. Replace one bottom-level talent (25 XP) in each specialization with the Force Rating talent (allowing the Jedi to increase his Force Rating by +1 each time). The Jedi Consular's should be the easiest to purchase, and the Jedi Guardian's should be the hardest to purchase. The Sentinel's should be as easy to purchase to as is his Dedication talent.

5. The Jedi Career gives the player a starting Force Rating of 1.

Thoughts?

Edge of the Empire: Beta Updates, crib sheets, and other goodies

Post subject: Re: Q-DJS (Quick and Dirty Jedi System)
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:47 pm 
Council Member

(cross-post from the FFG boards)

Unless you're setting your game well outside the default setting for Edge of the Empire (Dark Times/Early Rebellion Era), then I really don't think a full-blown Jedi career is really necessary, particularly as characters in this default setting don't have the benefit of a lifetime of education in the Jedi arts.

Personally, I simply created a single specialization that was specifically "Jedi" in nature, with a talent akin to Force Exile's to add a couple of appropriate skills to the character's career list (Discipline and Lightsaber), as well as talents both existing and home-brewed that I felt were best suited for a lesser/minor Jedi in that era, with a focus on combat, taking a note out of the OCR Rebellion Era campaign guide that Jedi students were generally taught more about lightsaber combat and Force power usage than things generally associated with the Consular or Sentinel paths, and a lot of what's associated with those fall under Politico and Thief respectively.

And for NPC Jedi characters, the career system is entirely unnecessary, as the Emperor's Hand Forsaken Jedi both demonstrate, since you can just simply assign such characters whatever skills and talents you feel they need.

That, and I wouldn't really call building a whole new career with it's own specializations a "quick and dirty system"

Besides, there's already a "quick and dirty" system in place for making Jedi-style characters, mainly by taking the Force-Sensitive Exile and convincing your GM to permit the creation of a non-career Lightsaber skill.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog
Follow me on Twitter at @donovan421 (warning: expect lots of cute critter retweets)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:55 pm 
Sith Lord

Well then, I'll amend my statement and say that it's as quick and dirty as making a new career can be :)

And yes, it's definitely for other eras, not for the era presented in Edge. I had said that earlier in the post, but I understand my wall-of-text tendencies can lead to some things getting missed out :)

I have been, and still am, totally on board with the "Jedi don't exist right now" feel that FFG has propagated with Edge of the Empire. I just thought I'd present my thoughts on options for, say, an Edge of the Empire game during the reign of a different Sith Empire (c. 3600 BBY or 130 ABY).

Edge of the Empire: Beta Updates, crib sheets, and other goodies

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:26 pm 
Council Member

Short version of what I posted over on the FFG boards, but I think the issue is less a case of "there's not a Jedi career" and more than a lot of the "fundamental" Force powers simply don't exist.

After all, under the current rules, there's no Blaster Reflection (deflect can be moderately covered by the Deflection quality), Force Grip/Choke, or Farseeing, all three of which are core elements of the Force as seen in the movies. Just telekinesis, minor telepathy (emotions or quick snapshots of thoughts), danger sense, and mind trickery.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog
Follow me on Twitter at @donovan421 (warning: expect lots of cute critter retweets)

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Edge of The Empire