Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » d20 Radio Podcasts » General Gaming and Video Game Podcasts » Brew City Gamers

Post subject: Episode 95 - BCG Brush Up: Greyed Out dice bags
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:13 pm 
GM

In which we take a look at a high quality handmade dice bag made by Greyed Out Dice Bags.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/greyedout

[url]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=644a5V8_ ... IXS0zwKbQg[/url]

Web: BrewCityGamers.com

Post subject: Re: Episode 95 - BCG Brush Up: Greyed Out dice bags
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:44 pm 
Geek In Training

Been away from iTunes for awhile, nice to see a bunch of BCG podcasts waiting for me now that I'm back. Just catching up.

Nice review of X-wing. A lot of reviews say it's a fun game but they've missed some details that I'm curious about:

How much do you have to spend for good games? I imagine the starter set would get repetitive after a few 'one X-wing vs two TIEs' battles. i.e. How many ships do you "really" need? I'm curious how much it's gonna cost me if I jump in. I need both sides because I'd play with different groups of people.

Also, how well made are the ships? Are they brittle plastic (easy to break) or rubbery (droopy wings over time) or somewhere in between? Could you just toss them all in a shoe box when you're done, or do you need foam trays, etc? I've looked a them in the package and they look good enough that I won't feel the need to paint them myself - thank God, I don't need any more painting projects...

I also need to arrange some sort of dice bag accident, my friend's mom made one for everybody in my group but the Greyed Out looks a lot nicer. :P

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:09 pm 
GM

100pts is the standard we play. Depending on how you want to play you can run 8-9 TIEs at 100 if you want to do the swarm. If you do named pilots and add more attachment cards you are probably looking at about 4-5 ships per side. The Falcon and Slave I cost a lot more so less ships if running those.

The ships are made pretty well. A solid plastic that will hold up pretty well. Might not take a good fall though. They'll be fine in a shoebox. I keep mine in a tackle box like case.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:46 pm 
Geek In Training

Got it, thanks for the info.
Bought a starter box. And a swarm of TIEs sounds fun to play so I need to figure out if it’s better to buy another starter box or the 3 ships individually. I imagine there are advantages to both (i.e. more basic game pieces vs. getting the different pilot cards), costwise it looks pretty much the same. Knowing me I'll do both because I'm an idiot. :D

Thing is, I’ve resolved to stop buying new 40K models because it’s getting just too expensive to keep up with the game. X-wing doesn't seem a lot better, but at least you don’t have to buy a rulebook and codexes every few years to keep playing. And new models, because your new codex just made all the good models junk and the bad models powerful.

And as long as I am asking, how large of a board is typically used for X-wing? The rules mention 3'x3' for some scenarios, but I’m curious if larger sizes are better for normal games. I was thinking of doing a custom star-field board with a place inside to store minis, but anything bigger than 3 feet square would be tough to carry around.

Completely unrelated, not sure if you guys play Dominion but a friend recently told me there's an official online & single player version out. It's a great implementation and 100% free if you stick to the original game, I think they charge for the expansions. Google for 'dominion online' and you'll find it, if interested.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:02 pm 
GM

Jabberwock wrote:
Got it, thanks for the info.
Bought a starter box. And a swarm of TIEs sounds fun to play so I need to figure out if it’s better to buy another starter box or the 3 ships individually. I imagine there are advantages to both (i.e. more basic game pieces vs. getting the different pilot cards), costwise it looks pretty much the same. Knowing me I'll do both because I'm an idiot. :D

Thing is, I’ve resolved to stop buying new 40K models because it’s getting just too expensive to keep up with the game. X-wing doesn't seem a lot better, but at least you don’t have to buy a rulebook and codexes every few years to keep playing. And new models, because your new codex just made all the good models junk and the bad models powerful.

And as long as I am asking, how large of a board is typically used for X-wing? The rules mention 3'x3' for some scenarios, but I’m curious if larger sizes are better for normal games. I was thinking of doing a custom star-field board with a place inside to store minis, but anything bigger than 3 feet square would be tough to carry around.

Completely unrelated, not sure if you guys play Dominion but a friend recently told me there's an official online & single player version out. It's a great implementation and 100% free if you stick to the original game, I think they charge for the expansions. Google for 'dominion online' and you'll find it, if interested.

3' x 3' for one v one games. When we do multiplayer games we play on about a 4' x 6'.

Played a some Dominion in the pass but it has been some time since we last played.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:57 pm 
Geek In Training

Yeah, I found a few other posts online and they agree with you that 3x3 is the way to go, otherwise the fast ships can control the game too much with their speed. I liked the basic game enough that I bought another dozen ships to play with, but the TIE Interceptor and A-wing are currently hard to find, I'll have to wait on those.
I also bought a Plano toolbox at Menards for about 10 bucks, the 5231 is perfect for the game, holding everything (including the two big ships) except for the rulebook, but I suppose I could even roll that up if I wanted.
Thanks for the help

Board index » d20 Radio Podcasts » General Gaming and Video Game Podcasts » Brew City Gamers