Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » d20 Radio Podcasts » General Gaming and Video Game Podcasts » Brew City Gamers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: [Builder] Edge of the Empire Content and Character Build
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:05 pm 
Jedi Knight

On a related note, a class assignment gave me a chance to do something I've been wanting to do for a while. I took the time to write an XSLT that transforms the .xml of a saved character into the GSA's statblock for characters. This would also be the starting block for being able to take the .xml files and create formatted PDFs out of them, as normally you use XSLT to transform the data into what can be accepted by the PDF generator.

Example:
http://xphilesrealm.com/rpg/Mathus.xml (If you view the source, you'll see only the XML of the character)

If anyone has some spare saved characters they could toss my way so that I can validate that this works in various instances, it would be greatly appreciated.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:15 pm 
Sith Lord

I got you.

My PbP Characters:
Jjak Halcyon - Cadbur

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:20 am 
Sith Apprentice

Xphile wrote:
On a related note, a class assignment gave me a chance to do something I've been wanting to do for a while. I took the time to write an XSLT that transforms the .xml of a saved character into the GSA's statblock for characters. This would also be the starting block for being able to take the .xml files and create formatted PDFs out of them, as normally you use XSLT to transform the data into what can be accepted by the PDF generator.

Example:
http://xphilesrealm.com/rpg/Mathus.xml (If you view the source, you'll see only the XML of the character)

If anyone has some spare saved characters they could toss my way so that I can validate that this works in various instances, it would be greatly appreciated.

Very cool! I please email me and I will do whatever I can to help you along with this, including providing characters.

Star Wars: EotE Content and Character Builder Beta

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:44 pm 
Sith Apprentice

A quick heads up, I have just about finished an Exporter feature for content files. This means I will be able to export and share some of what I have done with content, but I will be wiping the descriptions (you copyright and all that).

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:27 pm 
Sith Apprentice

Added a new update to help me share my content with you!

2013.11.01 v0.1.6.2
    - Added an export settings page to export content… mostly so I could export my content to you

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:23 pm 
Sith Apprentice

Sample content is now available here!

I haven't entered everything and I encourage others to post and share their content, but this will get you started.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:09 pm 
Sith Apprentice

Small update. Almost done with Attachments and Modifications, but I had to get this out once I found it.

2013.11.20 v0.1.6.3
    - Fixed a display bug with Skill Rank Mechanical Bonuses

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:30 am 
Sith Apprentice

Hi everyone, I just wanted to drop in and let everyone know that I will be pretty busy during the holiday season and it is unlikely that I will get any new updates until the new year. Please let me know if anything really urgent pops up and I will do my best to address it. Otherwise see you in 2014!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:27 am 
Sith Apprentice

I got this suggestion the other day and I wanted to address it publicly to let others know how I handle this in my games and what I am planning to do to make it a bit more usable.

LandShark said:
    "Allow a "GM Mode" on character sheets which allows direct adding of talents (outside of specialization), changing of costs on the advancement, modifying Encumbrance limit, etc. With a highlight identifying it as "Outside rules/illegal" if viewed later. For Instance, in the campaign I'm running, every race of character gets 1 free talent from a pool of three designated by their race. As it stands, I cannot provide a free Talent choice via the Trait content, nor can I add it directly to a character sheet, without designing a "Racial Talent Tree" - but if I do that, then it autocalculates the cost of additional specializations as if this Racial specialization counted against them. While possible, this means I have to then fudge the starting or earned XP, which invalidates the XP counter for the things I DO want to keep track of following the rules. Allowing a GM mode which goes beyond the inherent strictures of the game system allows for the unique events, advancements, drawbacks that come through play to be added to a character or NPC sheet as necessary."

Free/arbitrary traits are supported in my builder. There is no GM mode or "houserules" flag, and it is unlikely that I will ever add those indicators, but you can quickly and easily add a free trait to a character that will cost 0 xp.

Before I explain how to do this, I will be adding a new kind of mechanical bonus for Talents. This will allow you to add a Talent rank to a character via a trait rather than having to include a duplicate trait to cover what the talent already does.

- First, open a character and go to the Advancements pane.
- Click 'Add' to add a new Advancement.
- Select Trait from the Advancement Type dropdown.
- Hover over the item in the grid and wait for the info popup.
- In the info popup click the title area (notice the downward pointing arrow) and select the Trait you wish to add to the character.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this or if there is more that you need to make your games really shine. Enjoy!

Thanks,

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:24 am 
Sith Apprentice

New update.

2013.12.16 v0.1.6.4
    - Added Talent as an option to Mechanical Bonuses

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:11 am 
Sith Apprentice

Happy New Year! Enjoy adding Attachments and Modifications. I will be doing a content update in the next few days.

2014.01.03 v 0.1.7.1
    - A few updates to clean up last night’s build
2014.01.02 v 0.1.7.0
    - You can now add Attachments in the Content/Gear pane
    - You can add or buy Attachments for Gear in a Character’s Inventory and adjust modification slots
    - Armor Attachments and Modification of Attachments are automatically calculated when armor is “Equipped”
    - A number of UX improvements

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:37 am 
Sith Apprentice

This update contains the ability to add Signature Abilities from Enter the Unknown.

2014.01.06 v 0.1.8.0
    - Signature Abilities and upgrades can now be created in the content panes
    - Signature Abilities can be added to Careers
    - Characters can select a single Signature Ability based on their Career
    - Added Attachments to the Settings/Export pane

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:27 pm 
Sith Apprentice

Just a few fixes.

2014.01.07 v0.1.8.1
    - Fixed a bug with Wound and Strain Threshold calculations
    - Added Signature Abilities and Signature Ability Upgrades to the Settings/Export pane
    - Corrected a performance issue with the Character/Advancements pane

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:57 pm 
Youngling

Two Minor feature requests:

Ability to add more settings, if not in the editor itself, at least in the XML.

I was hoping to add different options for some different specific settings (Halo, Stargate, Mass Effect) and was hoping to have them show up as such in the app. However, adding them as settings to the ApplicationSettingsMetadata .xml file just results in the app not starting.

If that could be changed in the future so I can add more setting tags in the XML that would be awesome.

Side-Note: If I could make something belong to multiple setting categories, that would also be awesome. For instance, Star Wars options could belong to StarWars, as well as to ScienceFantasy.

Other than that, so far I'm finding it really neat, and really enjoying playing with the app.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:09 pm 
Sith Apprentice

Darkholme wrote:
Two Minor feature requests:

Ability to add more settings, if not in the editor itself, at least in the XML.

I was hoping to add different options for some different specific settings (Halo, Stargate, Mass Effect) and was hoping to have them show up as such in the app. However, adding them as settings to the ApplicationSettingsMetadata .xml file just results in the app not starting.

If that could be changed in the future so I can add more setting tags in the XML that would be awesome.

Side-Note: If I could make something belong to multiple setting categories, that would also be awesome. For instance, Star Wars options could belong to StarWars, as well as to ScienceFantasy.

Other than that, so far I'm finding it really neat, and really enjoying playing with the app.

This has been brought up before, actually, and the suggestion that I really liked was change the Settings to Genres and have the settings defined in the Tags (or as a new type of Tag). Pretty much everything should support Tags at this point and they are searchable. You can add multiple Tags to any piece of content (even characters support tags). Please let me know if this is a reasonable solution for you. If not, we can discuss it further.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Board index » d20 Radio Podcasts » General Gaming and Video Game Podcasts » Brew City Gamers