Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Order of 66 Boards » SW:TOR Forums » Race Discussions

Post subject: Re: Even more boring races.........
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:29 pm 
Jedi Master

What I meant was why would a microtransaction be "unfortunate" where as an expansion pack would not be?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:29 am 
Sith Lord

Because the price of an expansion pack will not change based on whether or not it includes new races. I'd rather get them bundled with the expansion I'm going to buy anyway rather than pay an additional fee for races on top of that.

If they don't have boxed expansions, I agree with DarthGM, but I sincerely doubt that will be the case.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:32 am 
Gamer

PiercedGeek wrote:
What I meant was why would a microtransaction be "unfortunate" where as an expansion pack would not be?

Personally, I'm unsure as to which would be better.

A microtransaction (I'll abbreviate this as "gouging") gives an option to buy or not to buy.

An expansion (abbreviated as "chiseling") would seem to imply that content would be missed if not purchased.

I'm unclear as to the history with EA. Why do people hate them so?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:46 am 
Sith Lord

Starkweather wrote:
I'm unclear as to the history with EA. Why do people hate them so?

So many reasons...

But that isn't the topic of this thread, so I'll give you a quick rundown.
Big Picture: *Watto Voice* "They donta care about da games! Only money!"
Recent Example: Forcing Bioware to put out Dragon Age II less than two years after the release of the original, leading to a rushed final product that fell well short of Bioware's usual standards and what it could have been.

Personally, I find the idea of charging small fees for extras in any game where I'm already paying a subscription fee is a dick move. I don't mind buying expansions that give you tons of content and only come out maybe once a year.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:43 am 
Jedi Master

I get the impression that TOR will have more of a Warcraft model with large expensive expansions. I think I prefer the STO approch with more microtransactions. Of course I hear that WOW has those now too.

I would totally pay for a playable Gungan...

;)
Duncan

Hobbie - Jedi; Hesrat - Trooper; Deridre - Scoundrel
Vice Admiral Dallas of the 66th Fleet, STO
Captain Hetsh, Leader of the Gorn Resistance, STO
Got Gorn?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:18 am 
Jedi Master

AsaTJ wrote:
Because the price of an expansion pack will not change based on whether or not it includes new races. I'd rather get them bundled with the expansion I'm going to buy anyway rather than pay an additional fee for races on top of that.

Or, the argument could be made that if they allow players to purchase more crayola humans as microtransactions, than that would free up the folks working on the expansion pack to do something that isn't just adding zeltrons, pantorans and umbarans. Actual content.

Although, if I remember correctly -- and I'm not going to hunt down the source -- one of the BioWare devs claimed that if they were going to add some of the more difficult species to cos-play, that it would require a full expansion pack, because doing so would necessitate not just new models, new animations, whole new armour sets, but an entirely new story. While I'm firmly of the belief that you don't have to look all that hard to find a human to rub up against anything, BioWare's position is that we're not going to see anything that your average person wouldn't wanna have sloppy make-out sessions with be a playable race, because it wouldn't fit any of the stories in the game at launch.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:27 pm 
Sith Lord

I've gotta come down on Bioware's side on that one. Yes, there are people into pretty much every weird fetish you can think of. But if I were playing as a wookiee or a gran and my character started wooing a human NPC... i'd be a little taken out of the experience. Would it be hilarious? Sure. But it would also detract from the immersion.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:09 pm 
Jedi Master

Oh, absolutely. As much whining as there is on the official forums that people are going to be able to play mon calamari or ithorians, I much prefer that BioWare tell the story that they want to, even if I don't agree that a story needs to involve a romance. Storytelling is their strength, after all.

And, if that means that down the road, expansion packs include whole new stories as they expand the list of playable races, while I'm certinally not going to complain about that. I'm just not going to get excited about new playable races that are just a different hue of human.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:34 pm 
Gamer

PiercedGeek wrote:
Oh, absolutely. As much whining as there is on the official forums that people are going to be able to play mon calamari or ithorians, I much prefer that BioWare tell the story that they want to, even if I don't agree that a story needs to involve a romance. Storytelling is their strength, after all.

And, if that means that down the road, expansion packs include whole new stories as they expand the list of playable races, while I'm certinally not going to complain about that. I'm just not going to get excited about new playable races that are just a different hue of human.

Good point. I think one of the strongest features of this game will be its replay value.

Board index » The Order of 66 Boards » SW:TOR Forums » Race Discussions