Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Order of 66 Boards » SW:TOR Forums » Race Discussions

Post subject: Even more boring races.........
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:39 pm 
Sith Apprentice

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20100806

Yeah, called it. More human-like races with coloured skin and extra head-doodads. Seriously, it's feeling more and more like Bioware just gave up and decided to just recolour the humans over and over again and hoping nobody'll notice.

New options are:
-Sith Pureblood
-Miraluka
-Mirialans
-Zabrak

To quote one of the posters over on the swtor site:
Quote:
Just to be clear, the current options for playable species are:

Human
Rattataki - a human model with white skin
Chiss - a human model with blue skin
Twi'lek - a human model with head-tails
Pureblood - a human model with red skin
Miraluka - a human model with a blindfold
Mirialans - a human model with green skin
Zabrak - a human model with horns

Post subject: Re: Even more boring races.........
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:13 pm 
Sith Lord

I called this a long time ago. We will not have any playable species that do not conform to the following guidelines:
1. Speaks Basic
2. Armor models would not have to be altered.

Twi'lek is probably the most "out there" we'll get, physically. I wouldn't say Bioware "gave up," but rather that was the plan all along. I'd be glad we're even getting races. In the previous KotOR games, you could choose Human, Human, or Human.

I really don't give a womprat's hind quarters, either. All or almost all of my characters will be regular old humans.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:42 am 
Jedi Knight

something that you should keep in mind is that theese are the races that play a more critical role during this era, almost all of the playable races in the KOTOR games are already confimed. wookiees, with some exceptions, are still considered primitive by the greater galactic community. droids are all over the place and can in several ways be superior to organics, they were most likely selected to be NPC only for game balance.

something else i should mention: nobody said that this was it. we still might yet have wookiees, and some of the very first in-game images depicted a female togruta jedi attacking a kor slug, making the race all but announced, and there might be more.

the only races that have been confirmed NOT to be playable are: droids, trandoshans, and gormaks

Always in motion, the Future is. But in the mean time, let's go grab some lunch! :D

Post Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:07 am 
Sith Apprentice

I don't understand why this is such a problem for you. Most of the Star Wars races are humanoid. For example,

Rodian - a human model with green, scaly skin and a stupid looking face
Gran - a human model with orange skin and a stupid looking face with three eyes
Togruta - a human model with red skin and weird head tails

It also makes sense that they would ignore races that you can't relate to as a character. It would be hard to get invested into the movies if Luke, Han, or Leia were aliens. Bioware has stated many times that the story is going to be an important part of the game, and just like in KOTOR, it would be really difficult to follow a protagonist who has more than two eyes or lacks a nose or mouth or has thirty fingers or something. At this point you're just complaining about it because "aliens are coooooooooooool."

Post Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:10 am 
Sith Apprentice

Rakeesh Sorrel wrote:
Yeah, called it. More human-like races with coloured skin and extra head-doodads. Seriously, it's feeling more and more like Bioware just gave up and decided to just recolour the humans over and over again and hoping nobody'll notice.

Replace "Bioware" with "The Star Wars Expanded Universe" or "Paramount" (for Star Trek) and you get exactly the same result.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:33 am 
Sith Lord

Revan_the_2nd wrote:
we still might yet have wookiees,

Wookiees will not be a PC race. I don't keep saying this just to be mean to all wookiee fans, I just don't want anyone to get their hopes up over something I'm 98% sure is not going to happen. :P
I'm so solid on this one, in fact, that I will post a picture or video of me wearing or doing something embarassing if wookiees are confirmed as a PC race. Companions do not count. That is a promise.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:47 pm 
Sith Apprentice

Vladius wrote:
I don't understand why this is such a problem for you. Most of the Star Wars races are humanoid.

There is a big difference between humanoid and human-like. Humanoid is the overall shape of the body, human-like is it's actual appearance. So far all we've got confirmed are human-like. Take away the extra head doodads and all the faces ARE human. Which is completely uninteresting and boring in a setting including dozens upon dozens of unique aliens.

If this were a fantasy setting the current list would be; human, elf, wood elf, water elf, dark elf, jungle elf, et cetera.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:45 pm 
Sith Lord

Rakeesh Sorrel wrote:
Take away the extra head doodads and all the faces ARE human. Which is completely uninteresting and boring in a setting including dozens upon dozens of unique aliens.

I do see your point. I really do. I guess for me, it's just not that big a deal to actually play as said unique aliens. As long as they're in the game and I can see them, that's enough to make things feel varied and diverse. As for my own personal avatar, I'd honestly rather stick with a human. It's something I can relate to more, and as noted previously, most of the important heroes from the films have been humans.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:53 am 
Sith Apprentice

Rakeesh Sorrel wrote:

There is a big difference between humanoid and human-like. Humanoid is the overall shape of the body, human-like is it's actual appearance. So far all we've got confirmed are human-like. Take away the extra head doodads and all the faces ARE human. Which is completely uninteresting and boring in a setting including dozens upon dozens of unique aliens.

That's because it would be really difficult to do all of the animation, dialogue in multiple languages, armor/weapon modeling, and so on. While you might want to play an alien for the "cool" factor, it would be hilariously out of place for the purposes of the story if you were say, a Rodian, or a Shistavanean, or a Trandoshan, or a Wookiee. Speaking of KOTOR, would Bastila/Carth fall in love with you, or would you attract all of your followers, if you were any of those species? Probably not. Revan, out of necessity for the player to relate to their own character and for the story to avoid turning into self-parody, must be human. Could he have green skin, tatoos, horns, head tails, or something like that? Almost definitely. Just be glad that you're even getting this many options, considering.

How do you know that the "interesting" aliens won't appear in some form, anyway? It's already confirmed that they will.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:06 pm 
Jedi Knight

I never understood the draw to playing non-human races. Miraluka and Shield Dwarf is about as out there as I a willing to go, otherwise the human dimension starts to slip away. Good comments have been made in this thread that are along my viewpoint.

While its just my viewpoint and not necessarily better than any others, with the full VO and story emphasis I think human and human-esque is the way to go. For example, I always found JKA quite silly with the VO for Rodian or Kel Dor males. I'd like to see a wide variety of human and near-human customization options.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:35 pm 
Jedi Knight

While I am greatly disapointed that the SW:ToR spieces/models (The different skin color humans is just as silly as the ST 'verse forhead and nose bumps) will be even less creative than the STO spieces/models, I am very disapointed in the limiting of species to a single class.

While I can always see the arguement that "X" race can't be a Jedi/Sith simply because they are not force sensitive, I do not like seeing species that were in the verious "media" that had been "X" class and not be able to do that in SW:ToR.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:22 pm 
Gamer

Not to raise anyone's hopes, but it's possible that they'll include additional species options in expansion packs.

Just take a look at their history with players desirous of downloadable content, and willing to pay extra for it.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:35 pm 
Sith Lord

Oh, almost definitely. Extra species are actually one of the easier things to add to a game. I'm almost certain we'll get more species after the ones available at launch in one of three ways:

1. Part of free patches/updates. (Not super likely)
2. Bundled with inevitable expansions. (Fairly likely)
3. Buyable with microtransactions (Unfortunate but, considering EA's involvement, seemingly inevitable)

Also, +1 Dark Side Point for thread necromancy. :P

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:44 pm 
Minis Enthusiast

What would be the difference between having the species purchaseable as a microtransaction, or purchaseable as part of an expansion?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:10 pm 
Jedi Master

Location: In his usual booth at "The Rim", probably with a drink in hand...
PiercedGeek wrote:
What would be the difference between having the species purchaseable as a microtransaction, or purchaseable as part of an expansion?

The difference would be a break for those folks who want the extra content, but don't want to pay for the extra races. And vice versa.

Given the experience I've had with DDO and STO, they're more likely to keep purchasable races separate from purchasable expansions. At this time, STO doesn't charge for extra content (Featured Episodes and other missions) but does charge for races beyond the initial ones.

Co-Host of All Wings Report In, the Official Podcast of the Rebel Legion SW costume club
May the Dice be with you...

Board index » The Order of 66 Boards » SW:TOR Forums » Race Discussions