Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Order of 66 Boards » SW:TOR Forums » Race Discussions

Post subject: Chiss
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:43 am 
Jedi Knight

First revealed Here
confirmed by Wookieepedia

Always in motion, the Future is. But in the mean time, let's go grab some lunch! :D

Post subject: Re: Chiss
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:00 am 
Sith Warrior

Wow, Chiss are awesome, I . . . wait . . . wow . . . Chiss should have nothing to do with an Old Republic game . . . hrm . . . :?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:21 pm 
Sith Apprentice

Joy, another boring playable race. :\

Why do I have a feeling all the playable races will be human-like species?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:17 am 
Super Hero in Training

That's probably a good feeling. They're probably doing that initially to make development easier. I'm sure that there will probably be an expansion down the line that opens up characters that don't share the immediate Human body shape. They've got two reasons to do so: 1) Get the game on the market faster, 2) Make people pay for the later expansion.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:33 pm 
Jedi Apprentice

I like squid-heads. Please let me follow a squid-head in TOR.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:54 pm 
Jedi Knight

Rakeesh Sorrel wrote:

Define human-like? One head, two arms, two legs? You just named a large percentage of the species in star wars.

As for why they picked these races, while you may think of them as boring, for the casual star wars fan and gamer, they are probably the more popular races. Look at all of the characters from the KOTOR games themselves, most of them were human-like species. Do I think we'll see more non-human species in the future? Sure, but it is mostly art development that goes into making new species. So as mentioned, it is easiest to make humans, then make things that are like humans as most of the art is then reusable. Honestly, there isn't much animation or art outside of a hutt that would be hard to do once you have the base humans setup.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:31 am 
Jedi Knight

Xphile wrote:
Rakeesh Sorrel wrote:

Define human-like? One head, two arms, two legs? You just named a large percentage of the species in star wars.

As for why they picked these races, while you may think of them as boring, for the casual star wars fan and gamer, they are probably the more popular races. Look at all of the characters from the KOTOR games themselves, most of them were human-like species. Do I think we'll see more non-human species in the future? Sure, but it is mostly art development that goes into making new species. So as mentioned, it is easiest to make humans, then make things that are like humans as most of the art is then reusable. Honestly, there isn't much animation or art outside of a hutt that would be hard to do once you have the base humans setup.

exactly! if they were to add a race such as the Xexto, they would have to work from scratch on how the extra two arms would move and how that character would handle weapons and such. it is a whole lot easier on bio ware that way. also, in this time period, when the sith empire controls half the galaxy, there will be some xenophobia going around, and thus most galactic citizens would be uncomfortable around anything but pure- or near-human species.

Always in motion, the Future is. But in the mean time, let's go grab some lunch! :D

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:09 am 
Jedi Apprentice

Are the Sith of this era xenophobic? The Sith of Darth Bane's time weren't, were they? I always understood that Sith xenophobia was a unique characteristic of Palpatine's Empire, and even then I wondered if Palpatine didn't merely put on a xenophobic facade to further the conflict between Humans and non-humans.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:09 am 
Jedi Knight

Caylen wrote:
Are the Sith of this era xenophobic? The Sith of Darth Bane's time weren't, were they? I always understood that Sith xenophobia was a unique characteristic of Palpatine's Empire, and even then I wondered if Palpatine didn't merely put on a xenophobic facade to further the conflict between Humans and non-humans.

i never said this was from an official source that this era they were, just a little theory based on how the Kotor and movie era sith were, as well as how all the sith NPCs we have seen thus far are humans but we've seen non-humans for the other classes.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:01 pm 
Sith Apprentice

Chiss now featured in official screenshot:

Full screen version here

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:09 pm 
Sith Warrior

Caylen wrote:

I've always thought that Palpatine's xeno baiting was more about putting up a division than about actually being xenophobic himself. He was trained by a Muun and had a Zabrack apprentice, he didn't seem to be that concerned about dealing with aliens.

Palpatine was human, humans made up a large percentage of the galaxy's inhabitants, so it was natural to play the "human" card, just like lots of real world dictators and regimes have played on cultural differences among conquered regions to keep them from uniting against the dictator in question.

Plus, it also seemed like there was an existing humanocentric vibe that already existed in some systems, meaning that Palpatine didn't have to do nearly as much to create the infrastructure of anti-alien bias.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:48 pm 
Jedi Apprentice

Revan_the_2nd wrote:
Caylen wrote:

i never said this was from an official source that this era they were, just a little theory based on how the Kotor and movie era sith were, as well as how all the sith NPCs we have seen thus far are humans but we've seen non-humans for the other classes.

To be clear, I didn't say you had cited any official source. I was indirectly requesting an official source to support your "there will be" statement. I wanted to know why you were certain enough to write: "in this time period, when the sith empire controls half the galaxy, there will be some xenophobia going around, and thus most galactic citizens would be uncomfortable around anything but pure- or near-human species."

Those are some fairly strong claims and I wanted to know if you had read something I hadn't because as far as I know, the Sith aren't actually xenophobic.

Quote:
I've always thought that Palpatine's xeno baiting was more about putting up a division than about actually being xenophobic himself. He was trained by a Muun and had a Zabrack apprentice, he didn't seem to be that concerned about dealing with aliens.

That's dead on what I believed as well, Knight.

Board index » The Order of 66 Boards » SW:TOR Forums » Race Discussions