Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » d20 Radio General Forums » Board and Video Games

Post subject: Grand Unified theory of FFG games for a gameday (Cross post)
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:50 pm 
n00b

I am thinking of running a full 8+ hour game on a weekend this fall. I figure that I need a party of 5 people in my local game group at least to make this work.

I haven’t worked out the mechanics yet, but am thinking of starting off with a fleet level battle in Armada as Stage 1. Then after that, we recreate a squadron level battle in that same conflict in X-Wing for Stage 2. Finally, in Stage 3, we would have an RPG element using either a one shot using FFG’s Star Wars system with pre-generated characters, or a scenario from Imperial Assault. The results in Armada and X-Wing would influence the starting conditions for the subsequent stages.

Players in the Armada and X-Wing battles would have to be split into Imperial and Rebel factions. The RPG would put all on the Rebel side if we are using Imperial Assault, and possibly maintaining Imperial and Rebel factions if we use the RPG.

As this would be three different games in a day, I can see this taking at least 8-9 hours, or one game of Twilight Imperium.

What suggestions do any of you have about the feasibility of this? All ideas are welcome!

Post subject: Re: Grand Unified theory of FFG games for a gameday (Cross p
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:58 pm 
GM

Wow. This would be an epic thing.

I think I'd run it as a 3-stage game:

1. Fleet incursion into a system (goal of making its way to a planet)
2. Squadron breaks into smaller planetary incursion (goal of landing)
3. Ground incursion (landed invaders with a goal of taking over an Imperial outpost or comm station - maybe a prison break!)

1. You could definitely do with Armada. Rebel ships vs. Imperial Ships in orbit. Easy peasy. The goal would be to get to the other edge of the play surface (where the "planet" is) with a primary carrier intact. Perhaps to deal enough damage to the Imperial cap ships that they can't pose a threat to the squadron when they attempt a planetary landing.

2. X-Wing all the way. The PCs would control individual fighters (perhaps with a freighter in the mix) to get past/destroy Imperial planetary defenses and make their way to the "planet" at the other edge of the play surface.

3. Use Age of Rebellion! Landing at the edge of a map for a full-on ground assault against the Imperial target building. The goal: either to take it or destroy it (maybe it's a comm station, and a bomb needs to be planted at the reactor). OR - maybe it's a prison, and this is a rescue/jailbreak of a valuable Alliance contact, or an Imperial Defector who has key information!

Board index » d20 Radio General Forums » Board and Video Games