Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » SWSE Boards » SWSE Builds

Post subject: Wielding four lightsabers with two arms - mechanics help
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:28 pm 
n00b

Hello - first time poster - didn't see any areas for the Wizards of the Coast SW table top so this section looked best - mods feel free to move somewhere better if applicable.

So my Trandoshan Jedi Guardian is currently working towards duel wielding lightsabers with his lightsabers being short bladed sabers mounted on the back of his wrists, rather akin to the Predator, except a single blade - seemed appropriate for how the character was evolving and fighting.

Then I had a positively obscene flash of inspiration for something that would make him quite unique as a character in the Star Wars universe - using his wrist blade lightsabers while also wielding two additional ones in his hands, thus resulting in him wielding four lightsabers at once.

The DM is quite enthused with the idea, in fact, first words out of her mouth was "well at the very least that's going to create one hell of an intimidation check for anyone you go up against."

Sadly, we're both stumped as to what sort of combat bonus such a combination would represent.

Obviously the character would have to burn an additional feat on top of ambidexterity and duel weapon use to develop the style so that when using it he doesn't accidentally cut something off of himself.

I don't feel that extra attacks with the blades would be appropriate, instead, I'm thinking that the bonus extra blades would provide:

Bonus to overall defense (and special defensive stances and what not) as they get in the way of opponent's shots and swings.
Bonus to hit as having the extra two blades swinging around at an opponent means that opponent's focus on avoiding damage is now distracted by the additional blades.
Possibly adding an additional d8 to lightsaber damage to reflect the various nicks and incidental hits they'll inflict while opponents are attempting to deal with the primary blades.

For the hit/def bonus I'm thinking +2 is reasonable, meaning that each hand gets a +2 individual bonus to hit while overall defense is increased by +4.

Any and all thoughts or, should someone have already come up with it, existing mechanics are welcome.

Post subject: Re: Wielding four lightsabers with two arms - mechanics help
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:01 pm 
Princess of Alderaan [Lead Moderator]

Welcome to our boards! Alas, WotC removed their SW d20 forums shortly after they opted not to renew the license in 2010. I'm going to move this to our SWSE builds forum at http://www.d20radio.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=40
The entire SWSE section is at http://www.d20radio.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=47
Look around, there are threads in the main SWSE forum to point you to where you can get some of the WotC online SWRPG content, as well as fan sites for the game.

Henceforth, when I post in purple, I am posting as Lead Mod.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:39 am 
Jedi Apprentice

While you may get answers here a potentially better place to get your StarWars SAGA Edition questions answered would be here: http://thesagacontinues.createaforum.com/index.php

Several people are on both boards but I suspect most who would answer the question would see in there faster and you may get more responses. Now if this is for the even older REVISED Core Rule (RCR) or original Core Rules (OCR) that were WotC's first d20 based Star Wars attempts I'm not entirely sure where to direct you; of the various StarWars RPGs most people place the RCR and OCR near the bottom.

Now you are NOT going to like my answer to your questions.

What you are asking about may look 'cool' but should NOT offer a character any mechanical game advantages. Where you may be looking at that as being some disadvantage to an opponent I have no problem seeing it as a major disadvantage to YOU. You've got two more blades sticking out which can get in an opponent's way but they will also get it your way as you try not to stab or slash yourself and other things with those extra blades. Maybe those blades get in your opponent's way but they may also prevent you from moving in way to avoid an attack making you more likely to get hit. I'll point out that none of this is even system exclusive and would apply to SWSE as well as the RCR versions of the game.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:04 pm 
Jedi Apprentice

I have to agree with Steven. It seems to me this would be rather similar to an Assassin's Creed character trying to sword fight with their hidden blades deployed; it's not so much dangerous to your opponent as restrictive to your own range of motion. I feel that a dedicated and trained lightsaber combatant might think of this guy as kind of a poser, trying to make up for lack of skill with volume of sabers. We saw how well that worked for Grievous.

Now, the extra blades might be able to offer a surprise slash the first time the opponent sees them, but that's as far as I would go. The advantages of such a style would seem similar to those of the Trakata technique or some form of defensive combat.

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » SWSE Boards » SWSE Builds