Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » SWSE Boards » Star Wars Saga Edition

Post subject: Traveling Gamer Vexed: Gaming via interwebs/webcam? Help!
 Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:49 am 
Super Hero in Training

Here's the deal: I just moved to Chicago away from my gaming friends (particularly our SAGA game we have going on) :( and beyond that my job demands around 50% travel all over the North America...

I don't want to quit my friends (and the game/games we have) and i want to keep playing no matter where I happen to be as I am the only kink in the chain keeping them all from playing. They will all be face-to-face and my goal is to be attached via interwebs.

My question is how people tend to deal with this in a good, cheap, easy manor so that I don't put my friends out at all. I want it kept to the KISS process the SAGA system is so fond of.

Web cam and mic is probably all that is needed but quality of web cam and mic will make a huge impact on game play if they are crappy and I can't see the board.

Gamer nation what do you do and what you suggest for this?

Sex in advance.

Kevin

Post subject: Re: Traveling Gamer Vexed: Gaming via interwebs/webcam? Help
 Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:19 am 
Darth Plif: Hoopy Frood [Moderator]

[mod] Moved to appropriate forum....unless it is more for the PbP/Skype forums[/mod]

Hopefully here you will get the feedback you need to conduct the kind of gaming you are looking to continue with. There are numerous players and GMs here that run non-localized games and they surely have several suggestions.

You may also find suggestions from several of the podcasts for O66 (espeically those featuring Sam Witwer) where they discuss their remote gaming applications and setups.

You will also find both Skype Games and Play By Post Games forums in specific areas here, in addition to the SWRPG Holonet Roleplaying Forums These resources should help you find the tools and tips you need.

THIS is my LIGHT-Stick!, The next one of you Furry Tree-Hugger Yub-Yub Primitives EVEN TOUCHES me
...//FZOOOK!//

Post subject: Re: Traveling Gamer Vexed: Gaming via interwebs/webcam? Help
 Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:07 am 
Minis Enthusiast

My Sunday night group has been together for about 17 years. Slowly we started moving away from Indianapolis where we all lived. What we do is use Skype for voice chat and Screen Monkey from nbos to run battlemaps. I prefer Screen Monkey because only the GM needs purchase the 25 buck software. The others just use their internet browsers. This is how I run my House of Wookiees game. You can connect your laptop to a television to show everyone at the table what they're seeing, or like me have the players walk up to the laptop on their turn.
Garrett

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » SWSE Boards » Star Wars Saga Edition