Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » SWSE Boards » Star Wars Saga Edition

Post subject: Re: Working on a Star Wars Jedi campaign, need some advice.
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:08 am 
Sith Warrior

Another consideration is that FFGs system is a point buy system so the PCs will be spending XP most sessions and seeing a gradual increase in abilities and capabilities which might better fit the feel of the campaign you're running.

Some people like the "periods of experience and training followed by a jump in ability" model that level based systems provide, others prefer the immediate but gradual increase in abilities that a point-buy system provides.

I also find that point buy systems tend to produce more organic characters as players are more apt to spend XP on things they didn't necessarily intend to but were important or interesting in a game session.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:22 am 
Jedi Apprentice

The "buy abilities as you go" system I have experience with in the West End Games version of StarWars that used d6s.

While some like it a problem I see with the systems where a player decides his character's advancement completely is that it can lead to some highly focused characters who punch well above their weight class in one area.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:42 am 
Sith Warrior

I think it depends on the system - highly focused one-trick pony builds can be done in Saga or FFGs system.

I've seen complaints from players of both Saga and FFG about characters that outshine all the others in a particular area (usually combat) - with Saga the complaint is usually that force users are too overpowered (though I think that after low levels this is not very accurate as there are a lot of powerful non-force builds) and in FFG it's that various ranged/melee fighter builds are too powerful.

I find that in the point buy systems I've played - L5R, The One Ring, GURPS, FFG Star Wars, etc - I and others are much more likely to spontaneously pick up skills here or there because the barrier to entry is so low. But systems like L5R and The One Ring encourage spending XP outside of your "specialty" (and The One Ring even has two different pools of XP - one just for common skills and one for combat skills and special abilities so being skillfull doesn't come at the expense of combat ability).

Regardless if the system is point-buy or level based characters that are highly focused will perform better in their specialty compared to characters that are more well rounded.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:00 am 
n00b

How many books are there for the FFG version? I can't seem to find a solid number, and are they continuing to release them?

EDIT: And I guess going a long with that what about the saga books. I'm looking at some things now of the complete list of all the races that FFG supplies but they come from books I can't seem to find.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:22 am 
Jedi Apprentice

KnockingDevil wrote:
How many books are there for the FFG version? I can't seem to find a solid number, and are they continuing to release them?

EDIT: And I guess going a long with that what about the saga books. I'm looking at some things now of the complete list of all the races that FFG supplies but they come from books I can't seem to find.

Until you can gather all of the FFG books, I recommend using OggDude's character builder in the mean time.

They don't provide the mechanics for the talent trees or flavor text for anything else, but it's free and it has all the species crunch.

For talent info, I completely recommend Begging For XP's printable talent sheets.

As for a list of all the books. I own them all, but since I am away from my gaming shelves, I'll try my best to name them all from memory

Edge of the Empire Core Rule Book
Career Source books: Enter the Unknown (Explorer), Dangerous Covenants (Hired Gun), Far Horizons (Colonist), Fly Casual (Smuggler), Special Modifications (Technician)*

Adventure books: Beyond the Rim, The Jewel of Yavin, Mask of the Pirate Queen

Location Source books: Suns of Fortune (Corelllian System), Lords of Nal Hutta (Hutt Space)

Other: Edge of the Empire Beginner Box, Edge of the Empire GM's Kit, and all the specialization decks

Age of Rebellion Core Rule Book
Career Source books: Stay on Target (Ace), Desperate Allies (Diplomat), Far Horizons (Colonist), Lead By Example (Commander)*

Adventure books: Onslaught at Arda I

Location Source books: Strongholds of Resistance (Various Bases of the Alliance)

Other: Age of Rebellion Beginner Box, Age of Rebellion GM's Kit, and all the specialization decks

Force and Destiny Core Rule Book
Career Source books: Keeping the Peace (Guardian), Savage Spirits (Seeker)*

Adventure books: Chronicles of the Gatekeeper

Location Source books: Nexus of Power (Various Force-heavy worlds)*

Other: Force and Destiny Beginner Box, Force and Destiny GM's Kit, and all the specialization decks

*Announced, but has not been released.

Ziari's Character Sheet
(WT: 0/14 ST: 0/13)
Yamira's Character Sheet
(WT: 0/12 ST: 0/13)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:43 pm 
Jedi Apprentice

KnockingDevil wrote:

I know this is old but never saw the edit asking how many SWSE books there are. I count 14 without the GM Screen which I don't have. They are:
SECR - SAGA Edition Core Rulebook
SotG - Starships of the Galaxy
ToG - Threats of the Galaxy
KotOR - Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
FUCG - Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
S&V - Scum and Villainy
CWCG - Clone Wars
LECG - Legacy Era
JATM - Jedi Academy Training Manual
SGtD - Scavenger's Guide to Droids
RECG - Rebellion Era Campaign Guide (I see this as the video game guide)
GaW - Galaxy at War
GoI - Galaxy of Intrigue
UR - Unknown Region

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » SWSE Boards » Star Wars Saga Edition