Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew

Post subject: Bounty Hunting Rules (Feedback appreciated)
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:22 am 
Youngling

With a lack of bounty hunter rules as we wait for the BH splat book I took it upon myself to make my own house rules on it. This was presented to my players who have little to no understanding of Star Wars. I also dont know of any other house rules or hunting systems people have introduced outside of the Saga books, so if this is done better elsewhere I'm more than willing to look at that.

Bounty Hunting 101

This is where I'm going to talk about the rules and rolls of being a bounty hunter in the galaxy, at least until the bounty Hunter book comes out which I'm hoping has some more concrete rules to play by.

So you want to be a bounty hunter, you've got the gear, the guns, the drive but what you don't have is a license. The Empire issues an Imperial Peace-Keeping Certificate or IPKC for 1000 credits; you have to renew this yearly either with an Imperial official or the Hunters Guild. What an IPKC grants you is access to the Imperial Enforcement DataCore, a repository of information on law enforcement by the Empire, and a list of its agents. You need this type of license if you want to accept or collect on any Imperial or Guild bounties that are posted. Hunting without a license in most cases will net you either a fine or complete loss of bounty when you attempt to turn in the acquisition, although I’m sure a charmer could talk their way out of a total loss.

When you join the Guild the initial fee of 1000 credits grants you membership and a license, the Guild offers a wider range of targets and more regular work for only a 10% tithe per acquisition captured, their way to keep the lights running. When acquiring a target, a negotiations check ranging from average to hard depending on the tier of target is required, unless you take bounty board work which often will have the details there.

• Success gives more options to choose from with higher payouts.
• Advantage gives more initial information about the target.
• A Triumph can be used to waive the tithe or give a significant lead on the target.
• Accrued failures could possibly give a less savory payout.
• Threat gives false information possibly leading to a trap.
• Despair would mean that the target knows you're onto him and has time to prepare.

Now I know what you're saying, "Why GM Tim, do I need to pay 1000 credits and give 10% of the profits to the guild? Why not just go unlicensed?" And my answer to you is that's perfectly acceptable not to be licensed or guilded. In many sectors of space, notably most of Hutt Space, Wild space, and so on, you don't need a guild membership or license. Instead you enter into contracts with the offended party and go from there. The issue with going unguilded is you don't have the security of work, payment, or the guild to help regulate the contract, other licensed hunter might even jump your claim.

To go about getting bounties outside of the Empire or Guild you can venture into the holonet which would require a hard computers check, or again a negotiations check as above if meeting face to face with the client. The same positive and negative rolls detailed above work here.

I'm hoping for any feedback, good or bad to help me hammer this out.

Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunting Rules (Feedback appreciated)
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:47 pm 
Jedi Apprentice

The first thing that jumps out at me is that the same entity is handling licensing, the bounty board, and collection, so it seems odd that the Guild lists a 10k credit bounty, then takes 1000 cr back at payoff. The bounty should be advertised at 9k, even if the Empire has to pay 10k to the Guild.

Joining the Guild should be similar to getting a PI license; you have to pay a fee, pass a test, and accept a background check, but if you do you get certain legal rights like access to juicy Imperial bounties, immunity to certain laws in pursuit of those bounties, potentially legal help if you run afoul of the law anyway, and the right to buy some types of military weapons. And the data core access, of course.

That said, a bounty hunter can happily operate unguilded. They'll be in competition with other hunters, pursuing non-Imperial bounties as private citizens, but this is probably the mode of the typical bounty hunter PC. They're likely on the wrong side of the law, since what they're doing constitutes murder, or at least kidnapping and accessory to murder. Of course, there are plenty of places that don't have the resources or will to investigate...

"Forget it, Jake. It's Hutt Space."

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:58 pm 
Jedi Apprentice

When I say "immunity to certain laws", I mean things like reckless endangerment, inciting a panic, assault and battery, trespassing, property damage (up to a point), traffic violations, that sort of thing.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:05 am 
Youngling

Great tips, thank you. That looks better.

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew