Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew

Post subject: I watch my group fall in love tonight... [Session Report]
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:42 pm 
n00b

I just finished running the first session of a new EotE/AoR/F&D campaign tonight. I put a lot of work into it on the GM side. Scored each scene, had slides on a big-screen TV for visuals, fleshed out my critical NPCs, worked with my PCs to develop strong backstories, etc.

Now, no one else in the group other than myself had any experience with FFG's incarnation of Star Wars. They were all a little nervous at first, and I understand that. New character sheets, strange dice, huge rulebooks.

But a few rounds into the opening scene, things began to click.

They were in a firefight with a group of thugs and the Politico reached into the flight jacket given to him by the Ace. He grinned at me, looked at the Destiny pool and said, "Man, it's a good thing there's a flash grenade in this pocket."

I smiled, "It sure is!"

He threw the flash grenade at a group of stormtrooper minions who had shown up to break up the fight. The stormtroopers had gotten the drop on another PC, the Sentinel, who was standing right next to them. He built his dice pool and rolled.

3 Successes, a Triumph and a Despair.

Everyone sat there in silence and looked at me.

"Well, as the Sentinel turns to hold his hand up to motion to the stormtroopers not to fire, a grenade lands in his outstretched hand. He look at it as what just happened dawns on him, then BOOM."

The flash grenade went off, knocking the stormtroopers out and nearly wiping out the Sentinel's Strain in a single action. So for the Triumph, I ruled the entire minion group was defeated, but for the Despair I ruled the Sentinel was blinded for the remainder of the scene.

Everyone laughed and thought it was great. It felt like a great comedic "Star Wars" moment.

Later, as they're fleeing aboard their HWK freighter from pursuing TIE Fighters through a debris field of space junk, the Smuggler hops into the gun port. She'd never fired starship guns and had no gunnery. Nervously, she tries to destroy one of the two TIEs still in pursuit. She even spends a Destiny Point.

She rolls... 2 successes, 2 advantage, AND a Triumph. She looks at me. "So, can I spend all the advantage and the Triumph to shoot a large piece of space junk so it splits in two, destroying both TIEs?"

It was so cool and cinematic, how could I say no? "That's awesome, yes you can!"

Everyone at the table cheered. The ship's pilot even ran back to her and said "I know we've never met before ten minutes ago, but you're my new gunner!"

By the time the session was over, three of my five PCs were saying they were going to go buy their own core books because the game "felt so Star Wars," and everyone agreed that it was the most story-driven, cinematic gaming system they'd ever played.

I haven't had this much fun at a gaming table in YEARS. The energy at the table was infectous, and every dice roll engaged every player. By the end of the session, everyone had grabbed onto the basics of the system enough to have a lot of fun and get comfortable with things.

It was so energetic, so fast paced, that when we looked up and five hours had passed all of us were a bit surprised. We WANTED to keep going, but sadly, we have lives outside of a galaxy far, far away.

The scene we ended on?

The HWK-290 coming out of hyperspace to see their small fleet of Rebel allies under attack from a Star Destroyer and a plethora of TIE Fighters. It was a one-sided battle with little hope of victory. Everyone looked at each other and the Ace said, "Punch it, we're going in full throttle!"

Post subject: Re: I watch my group fall in love tonight... [Session Report
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:17 pm 
Jedi Apprentice

Quixotic_Jedi wrote:
I just finished running the first session of a new EotE/AoR/F&D campaign tonight. I put a lot of work into it on the GM side. Scored each scene, had slides on a big-screen TV for visuals, fleshed out my critical NPCs, worked with my PCs to develop strong backstories, etc.

Now, no one else in the group other than myself had any experience with FFG's incarnation of Star Wars. They were all a little nervous at first, and I understand that. New character sheets, strange dice, huge rulebooks.

But a few rounds into the opening scene, things began to click.

They were in a firefight with a group of thugs and the Politico reached into the flight jacket given to him by the Ace. He grinned at me, looked at the Destiny pool and said, "Man, it's a good thing there's a flash grenade in this pocket."

I smiled, "It sure is!"

He threw the flash grenade at a group of stormtrooper minions who had shown up to break up the fight. The stormtroopers had gotten the drop on another PC, the Sentinel, who was standing right next to them. He built his dice pool and rolled.

3 Successes, a Triumph and a Despair.

Everyone sat there in silence and looked at me.

"Well, as the Sentinel turns to hold his hand up to motion to the stormtroopers not to fire, a grenade lands in his outstretched hand. He look at it as what just happened dawns on him, then BOOM."

The flash grenade went off, knocking the stormtroopers out and nearly wiping out the Sentinel's Strain in a single action. So for the Triumph, I ruled the entire minion group was defeated, but for the Despair I ruled the Sentinel was blinded for the remainder of the scene.

Everyone laughed and thought it was great. It felt like a great comedic "Star Wars" moment.

Later, as they're fleeing aboard their HWK freighter from pursuing TIE Fighters through a debris field of space junk, the Smuggler hops into the gun port. She'd never fired starship guns and had no gunnery. Nervously, she tries to destroy one of the two TIEs still in pursuit. She even spends a Destiny Point.

She rolls... 2 successes, 2 advantage, AND a Triumph. She looks at me. "So, can I spend all the advantage and the Triumph to shoot a large piece of space junk so it splits in two, destroying both TIEs?"

It was so cool and cinematic, how could I say no? "That's awesome, yes you can!"

Everyone at the table cheered. The ship's pilot even ran back to her and said "I know we've never met before ten minutes ago, but you're my new gunner!"

By the time the session was over, three of my five PCs were saying they were going to go buy their own core books because the game "felt so Star Wars," and everyone agreed that it was the most story-driven, cinematic gaming system they'd ever played.

I haven't had this much fun at a gaming table in YEARS. The energy at the table was infectous, and every dice roll engaged every player. By the end of the session, everyone had grabbed onto the basics of the system enough to have a lot of fun and get comfortable with things.

It was so energetic, so fast paced, that when we looked up and five hours had passed all of us were a bit surprised. We WANTED to keep going, but sadly, we have lives outside of a galaxy far, far away.

The scene we ended on?

The HWK-290 coming out of hyperspace to see their small fleet of Rebel allies under attack from a Star Destroyer and a plethora of TIE Fighters. It was a one-sided battle with little hope of victory. Everyone looked at each other and the Ace said, "Punch it, we're going in full throttle!"

It really warms my heart to read such an exciting and fantastic anecdote about FFG's Star Wars system! I know that plenty of others (myself included) have had incredibly positive experiences just like yours. I'd love to hear more about your future adventures!

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew