Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew

Post subject: Critique My Houserule: Advantage = Success On A Tie
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:25 pm 
Sith Lord

I realized that the probabilities for success on the narrative dice weren't quite where I wanted them. While the positive dice are generally more powerful than the negative, this is almost canceled out by the fact that a tie (no net success or failure) counts as Failure.

I considered ruling all ties in favor of the player, but that seemed a bit too far in the other direction. So I came up with this:

Quote:
If a roll ties (all Successes and Failures cancel out), but has a result of at least one Advantage, a player can trade in *all* Advantage symbols to count the action as a Success. This replaces the normal use of Advantage. The number of Advantage symbols does not matter, and any actions that count Successes (such as dealing damage) still act as if zero Successes were rolled.

What do you think? For me, this tips the balance just a bit to where I feel like success % hits that "sweet spot", and the players feel more heroic.

Post subject: Re: Critique My Houserule: Advantage = Success On A Tie
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:30 pm 
Gamer

I like it.

The alternative that I use is: on a complete nullification (no adds or threat, no succeses or failures) the player gets to reroll.
The reason for this is that a failure with nothing is just boring, might as well play dnd then.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:02 am 
Sith Lord

AsaTJ wrote:
I realized that the probabilities for success on the narrative dice weren't quite where I wanted them. While the positive dice are generally more powerful than the negative, this is almost canceled out by the fact that a tie (no net success or failure) counts as Failure.

That's actually WHY the positive dice are slightly better than the negatives.
Generally speaking, if you are rolling the same number of positive and negative dice, it's a 50/50 shot. That seems about right to me.

Quote:
What do you think? For me, this tips the balance just a bit to where I feel like success % hits that "sweet spot", and the players feel more heroic.

I don't know, I think this is going to end up being pretty powerful, especially in non-combat checks where number of successes isn't so much of an issue.

Keep in mind that any positive die that doesn't roll success will usually roll advantage, so a complete wipe of success and failure will tend to generate advantage, making this scenario come up more often.

Keendk wrote:
The alternative that I use is: on a complete nullification (no adds or threat, no succeses or failures) the player gets to reroll.
The reason for this is that a failure with nothing is just boring, might as well play dnd then.

How is total nullification different from rolling tons and tons of failure and no advantage? A final result of three failure and a final result of nothing are functionally identical.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:29 am 
Gamer

I know that that is the objective truth.
The sad look on my players faces of "Awww complete wash, I just fail" is my only anecdotal justification for this :)
For the same reason a natural 2 in dnd for some reason seems worth than a failure just one below the target number for many people I guess.
I guess the psychological reason is that it is litterally a 0 roll, everything cancels out and you are left with nothing.

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew