Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew

Post subject: Darthe Pseudonyme's Olde Weapone Shoppe
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:59 pm 
Sith Lord

Fighting Staff
Melee, Dam +3, Crit 4, Range Engaged, Enc 4, HP 2, Price 100, Rarity 3; Defensive 1, Disorient 2
While anyone can use a broken branch or length of metal as an improvised club, a proper fighting staff is a carefully crafted weapon. Most of them are carved from wood, but sturdy, lightweight metal is occasionally used instead. Many staves are constructed with a metal shoe at each end to increase the striking power of the weapon (using the Weighted Head attachment).
A fighting staff requires two hands to wield.
(This is effectively the Staff of Office, only it isn't disguised and does +3 damage like the Refined Cortosis Staff and most other 2-handed melee weapons.)

Verpine Multirod
Melee, Dam +3, Crit 4, Range Engaged, Enc 4, HP 2, Price 800, Rarity 5; Cortosis, Defensive 1, Disorient 2
Built by the insectoid Verpine from strong, energy resistant alloys like phrik, this modern incarnation of the traditional fighting staff includes micro-motivators and a hinged or telescoping construction that allow its wielder to easily collapse the weapon down to a more portable form. While collapsed, the staff has an encumbrance of 2, but is not usable as a weapon. It requires a maneuver to collapse the multirod or extend it for use.
A multirod requires two hands to wield.

Spear
Melee, Dam +3, Crit 3, Range Engaged, Enc 3, HP 1, Price 50, Rarity 4
While it's essentially a knife on the end of a stick, a spear is a classic and effective weapon common to most primitive cultures.
Many spears are balanced for throwing. When used in this way, it uses the Melee skill combined with the Agility characteristic, but it still adds the weapon's damage to Brawn as normal.
A spear requires two hands to wield.

Primitive Bow
Ranged Heavy, Dam X+2, Crit 5, Range Medium, Enc 3, HP 1, Price 200, Rarity 5; Cumbersome X, Knockdown, Limited Ammo 1, Pierce 1
A so-called "primitive" bow, whether the traditional longbow or a more advanced recurve design, is simple in theory and form, but actually requires a high degree of skill to make.
A bow of this type must be fitted to its wielder's strength. Each bow is made with a specific Cumbersome rating, and deals damage 2 greater than its Cumbersome. An archer should normally use a bow that has Cumbersome equal to his Brawn, which gives him the most damage potential without sacrificing accuracy.
(This is a more generalized version of the Corellian Compound Bow.)

Field Sports TekBow
Ranged Heavy, Dam +2, Crit 5, Range Medium, Enc 3, HP 2, Price 400, Rarity 5; Knockdown, Limited Ammo 1, Pierce 1
The TekBow is widely considered a piece of sporting equipment or hunting gear, rather than a legitimate weapon. While in general terms it is similar to Corellian compound bow, the TekBow includes sensors that detect a user's strength and automatically adjust the bow's draw accordingly, so any wielder can use it to maximum effect. The TekBow adds its damage to the wielder's Brawn. Specialized ammunition replaces this with the ammunition's damage.
The TekBow also features collapsible limbs, which reduce its encumbrance to 1 while not in use. It requires a maneuver to collapse the TekBow or extend it for use.
A common after-market upgrade for a TekBow is a rangefinding sight that automatically calculates the arrow's drop rate and provides a holographic target point to the shooter (Bantha's Eye Laser Sight, Dangerous Covenants p.52).

Post subject: Re: Darthe Pseudonyme's Olde Weapone Shoppe
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:50 am 
Gamer

Love the bows!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:16 am 
Jedi Apprentice

Cool post!

The collapsed size of the tekbow seems off. A telescoping staff goes down to the size of a largish pistol, but a folded bow is the size of a knife or grenade? If this is supposed to be like Hawkeye's bow, it kinda feels like they should both go down to 2, I think. Possible an unfolded tekbow should be a 4 (rifle-sized) rather than 3 (very large pistol or carbine.)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:30 am 
Jedi Apprentice

Axe
Melee, Dam +3, Crit 3, Range Engaged, Enc 4, HP 2, Price 35, Rarity 2; Vicious 2
A brutal weapon for a less civilized age, axes can range from little more than a stone blade attached to a club to a laser-honed durasteel head fixed on a lightweight composite shaft. In the larger galaxy, axes are most often sold as survival tools for those who prefer not to rely on vibrosaws or other powered equipment, but even the most primitive axe cuts flesh and bone as efficiently as it does wood.

Axes require two hands to wield.

Hatchet
Melee, Dam +2, Crit 4, Range Engaged, Enc 2, HP 1, Price 20, Rarity 1; Vicious 1
Perhaps the most primitive weapon in existence, the hatchet is a tool that most cultures develop around the time they master fire. Even in more civilized societies, these simple tools remain a staple of survival kits and camping sets, useful to any who spend time without access to reliable power supplies.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:00 pm 
Sith Lord

TheLonelySandPerson wrote:
The collapsed size of the tekbow seems off. A telescoping staff goes down to the size of a largish pistol, but a folded bow is the size of a knife or grenade? If this is supposed to be like Hawkeye's bow, it kinda feels like they should both go down to 2, I think. Possible an unfolded tekbow should be a 4 (rifle-sized) rather than 3 (very large pistol or carbine.)

If it were specifically Hawkeye's bow, it would be a 2 when collapsed, but that's only the inspiration, not the rules text. :D

The size of the unfolded bow is based on the Corellian bow, which is also enc 3. I toyed with having the collapsible take it to enc 2, for pretty much the reasons you mentioned, but taking it down by only one enc seemed a little pointless to me, and I guess I kind of just arbitrarily decided that collapsible should reduce the encumbrance by 2 for items that have it.

Actually the touchstone I was using was the folded bow is about the size of a pair of binoculars, which are also enc 1. Also encumbrance is a combination of weight and size, so I don't think encumbrance 1 is unfair for something that's pretty light for its size.

The staff, by contrast, may only be a foot or so long, but it's heavy for its size, thus the increased encumbrance. It's more or less a minbari fighting pike, but I don't really envision it collapsing quite THAT much -- I was thinking the collapsed form is something on the same scale as a lightsaber hilt, but heavy. Also I wanted to leave room for a staff that hinges down in some manner instead of actually telescoping per-se.

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew