Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew

Post subject: Updating the Bodyguard
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:17 pm 
Sith Lord

I'm interested in houseruling a modification to the Bodyguard spec to remove its (my opinion) odd focus on long range combat with giant guns.

If I removed the Gunnery skill from the spec list, what skill do you think I should replace it with?

If I removed each copy of the Barrage talent from the talent tree, what talent should I replace them with? (And should it be three copies of some other talent, or three different talents?)

Post subject: Re: Updating the Bodyguard
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:39 pm 
Sith Lord

To answer my own question...

My initial thought on the skill would be to give the Bodyguard another copy of Brawl, since in my head, a bodyguard's main job is to stand near his ward and make sure anyone who's heading that way and means trouble doesn't reach him. In that case, I'd swap barrage for Point Blank or Feral Strength on a one-for-one basis, giving the Bodyguard some close-in damage boosts to drop that incoming threat.

But maybe a better option would be making the skill into Coerce, giving him the chance to head off trouble before it starts by just being an intimidating presence. Talents that play off that, like Intimidating, could be good there. However that might step too much on the Enforcer's toes.

On the other hand, Gunnery is useful for ship defense, which is another way a bodyguard can protect somebody, so maybe I'll leave the skill alone after all. In that case, I could consider changing those Barrages for talents that speak to getting your ward and yourself out of the situation, when you can -- talents like Let's Ride, Time to Go (and especially the Improved version of it), or something of that nature.

But that could be making the spec too strong. Barrage is a small bonus to damage that only comes up under some pretty specific circumstances. So if I wanted to limit the power of those talent choices, maybe some Rapid Recovery would go well. With two ranks each of the namesake Body Guard, Defensive Stance, and Side Step, this guy can run through his strain really fast.

I think my final proposal, after thinking all that over, is to leave the skill list alone; replace the two top Barrages with Rapid Recovery; and replace the bottom Barrage with something really neat, which I haven't decided on yet. I think it's a shame that the bottom tier of the Bodyguard is so awful, with a 25-point Toughness and a 25-point Barrage (both fairly weak talents often found at the top two ranks), one of which you are required to take if you want to reach Dedication. I might suggest switching Toughness to the 'gatekeeper' position before Dedication, and put the "something neat" on that third column position.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:42 am 
Youngling

Personally, I like the idea of adding Coerce and associated talents.

I think a lot of the job of body-guarding is getting the crowds to back off, which allows you to narrow down the actual threats are the ones who enter the security perimeter. Hopefully, that will be the larger percentage of your actions than the actual combat with your charge in the line of fire.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:18 pm 
Council Member

While I don't have a major issue with the Bodyguard spec as written, perhaps if you're going to replace Barrage, then you might as well swap out Gunnery as well.

Best move would probably be to go with Coerce, and then add in a rank of Intimidating to replace the second row Barrage; after all, most people will steer clear of someone that projects a "don't screw with me boy!" image.

As for the first row Barrage, maybe borrow from Force and Destiny and add a rank of the talent (whose name currently escapes me) that allows the character to remove a setback die from Perception and Vigilance checks.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog
Follow me on Twitter at @donovan421

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:15 pm 
Sith Lord

Donovan Morningfire wrote:
While I don't have a major issue with the Bodyguard spec as written, perhaps if you're going to replace Barrage, then you might as well swap out Gunnery as well.

Well, not necessarily. I mean, in general yes, that's what I thought. But I don't have an actual objection to a bodyguard who is a good ship's gunner; it's simply that Barrage does not work with vehicular weapons, so it's clearly designed for handheld-gunnery use.

Quote:
Best move would probably be to go with Coerce, and then add in a rank of Intimidating to replace the second row Barrage; after all, most people will steer clear of someone that projects a "don't screw with me boy!" image.

As for the first row Barrage, maybe borrow from Force and Destiny and add a rank of the talent (whose name currently escapes me) that allows the character to remove a setback die from Perception and Vigilance checks.

That's not a bad idea. So you can kind of be the scary bodyguard, the vigilant bodyguard, or both.

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew