Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew

Post subject: [Vehicle Attachment] Advertising Grid
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:31 am 
Jedi Apprentice

While most businesses advertise through the use of stationary signs and media spots, some enterprising entrepreneurs realize that their transport speeders could easily be turned into mobile billboards as well. While most settle for a simple paint job, Tark and Ming Kromax of Kromax Advertising took the concept one step farther. With the help of a materials science firm, they developed a durable thin-film programmable-pigment display suitable for use on the exterior of a vehicle. Though most companies could repaint their vehicles dozens of times over for the cost of a single grid, some firms appreciated the chance to tout their latest deals on the sides of their speeder trucks, making the advertising grid a moderate success. Despite these commercial origins, a niche market of savvy criminals and renegades have also realized the value of being able to change the appearance of one's vehicle on command.

The advertising grid is controlled from a specialized datapad which comes with a variety of options for mounting it on a wall or dashboard. It comes pre-loaded with a dozen basic color options and a proprietary software package which makes it easy to design (or imitate) any livery or camouflage pattern the user can imagine. The pattern can be changed at the press of a button, but it takes about a second for the pigment display to finish shifting, which makes the system unsuitable for displaying video or animation. Still, the software does provide for timed rotation through a sequence of patterns as an attention-getting tactic.

Base Modifiers: Upgrades the ability of alll Stealth and Skulduggery checks made to disguise the equipped vehicle, blend into a background, or vanish into a group of similar vehicles.
Modification Options: None.
Hard Points Required: 1
Price: 5000 credits
Rarity: 6

Post subject: Re: [Vehicle Attachment] Advertising Grid
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:43 am 
Jedi Apprentice

I chose the title of "advertising grid" becasue I wanted this attachment to sound reputable and inoffensive despite its shady uses, but it could also be called a Chameleon Grid if you think it should sound cooler.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:08 am 
Super Hero in Training

Brilliant! I love the idea.

Of course, it would be much more economical to STEAL a transport that already had one of these installed...

I would recommend an advertising rate of income as well (per our of driving through the city) for those enterprising fellows that want to install it for other means, such as providing simple income while they go out on their adventures.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:18 pm 
Jedi Apprentice

Thanks a lot!

While you're right that stealing one would be cheaper, that would itself involve something not unlike a black market roll to locate a suitably equipped speeder, with increased rarity if they're looking for a specific type of vehicle -- most PCs don't have space to store a stolen heavy transport, after all -- and then a mission to actually pull off the theft, with the possibility of Obligation if things go wrong (or even if they don't). It may not be credits out of their pocket, but my PCs would most certainly earn it, one way or the other.

As for the profits from running a business of any sort, that would be entirely in the GM's hands. These generally aren't used as a "pay-me-to-drive-around" sort of mobile billboard; it would be more like those McDonald's trucks you see on the highway, advertising the restaurant chain while they move the chain's product around. Or those windshield repair companies that plaster their advertisements on the sides of their own vans.

Me, I don't generally allow my PCs to run a profitable business unless it's intimately involved in the story (as a front for their Rebel operations, for example) or supporting specific game mechanics (like the Entrepreneur's Sound Investments talent.)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:12 am 
Sith Lord

Ha! The instant-change paint job, classic! I seem to recall a show in the mid-90s called Viper that used pretty much exactly this on the titular cool car.

There was also a scene in some comedy spy film where the guy spy and girl spy had covered the car with wallpaper (or something of that nature) so they could rip it off in layers to change the car color, and eventually one layer was nursery wallpaper that the guy spy was suggesting using in their upcoming baby's room. I'm thinking it was some version of Get Smart or possibly Naked Gun.

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew