Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew

Post subject: [Force and Destiny] Starter Lightsaber Crystal
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:01 pm 
Council Member

Was discussing this notion with some friends a couple weeks back, namely that the closest thing the Beta has to a "beginner's crystal" is either the training emitter or the Athiss Cave Crystals which are obtained at the end of the Beta adventure (which itself shouldn't take more than two sessions at most unless the players are really dragging their feet).

So in that vein and after doing a little searching on Wookieepedia, I came up with this:

Adegan Crystal
Often used by the Jedi Order through much of its long history prior to the Ruusan Reformations, Adegan crystals such as relacite and danite were deemed suitable for use as a lightsaber focusing crystal, though not as valued as the rarer mephite and pontite variety of crystal. Despite the name, these crystals can be found outside the Adega system, such as parts of the Cularini asteroid belt, though as with many other kyber crystals they have been outlawed by the Empire.
Base Modifiers: Installing this crystal changes a lightsaber's base damage to 6 and critical rating to 2, and the lightsaber gains the Breach 1 and Sunder weapon qualities. If the crystal is removed, the lightsaber loses those qualities and reverts to its previous base damage and critical rating.
Modifications: 1 Damage +1 Mod, 1 Item Quality (Vicious +1) Mod
Hard Points Required: 2
Cost: 6,000 credits; Rarity: 8 (R)

At its base, the Adegan crystal provides the PC with the default performance of a basic lightsaber from the book and has a couple options to tweak the performance, but it won't go very far past that point, requiring the PCs to either accept the limitations of this crystal or searching other more potent types of crystals. I'd also considered adding the whole bit about "automatically detected when sensing surroundings if within range" aspect of the Mephite crystal, but not entirely sure the Adegan is potent enough to warrant that kind of drawback.

That said, if providing any FaD PCs with one of these crystals, it'd come with either a basic hilt or shoto hilt as standard; any other type of hilt (like a double-bladed hilt) will have to come out of the PC's starting funds. I would probably also consider giving the other PCs a boon in the form of either an item of roughly similar value (such as a superior customization for a weapon) or an extra 3000 credits to purchase equipment with.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog
Follow me on Twitter at @donovan421

Post subject: Re: [Force and Destiny] Starter Lightsaber Crystal
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:51 am 
Jedi Apprentice

I like it. Different to the Athiss crystal. Hohum.

I'll just steal this in my usual manner when it comes the produce of your mind. :mrgreen:

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew