Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: [Species] Pantoran
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:25 pm 
Offline
Jedi Knight

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 700
Hey guys... brewing up some Pantoran stats for my wife's character, an Outlaw Tech (and, secretly, Force-Sensitive Exile).

Image

We've only really seen Pantorans in a political setting, but I don't want to make the common concession of basing their species traits on their more well-known characters (read: I don't want to give them free ranks of Leadership, because they're not all senators). It's noted on Wookieepedia that they're likely frontiersmen, as they live on the outer rim in a cold climate. In general, their culture seems fairly proud and driven, oftentimes hot-tempered, and it's also noted that they practice a unique native religion (though no details are given).

=======================
[Option 1, standard humanoid numbers with Resolve talent]
Wound Threshold: 10 + Brawn
Strain Threshold: 10 + Willpower
Starting XP: 110
All Characteristics: 2
Cold Resistance: When making skill checks, Pantorans may remove one setback die imposed due to cold environmental conditions.
Talent Bonus: Pantorans begin play with one rank in the Resolve talent.
=======================

=======================
[Option 2, higher strain threshold with skill ranks instead]
Wound Threshold: 10 + Brawn
Strain Threshold: 12 + Willpower
Starting XP: 110
All Characteristics: 2
Cold Resistance: When making skill checks, Pantorans may remove one setback die imposed due to cold environmental conditions.
Special Abilities: Pantorans begin the game with one free rank in Vigilance or Resilience. They still may not train Vigilance or Resilience above Rank 2 during character creation.
=======================

The Resolve talent is pretty powerful, so I didn't want to provide too much else in the way of numbers boosts. On the other hand, the other build seems fairly standard, but maybe that formula works best.

One more thing: In option 2, would it be overpowered to offer Discipline instead of Resilience? I noticed none of the existing species offer it as a start bonus, so I didn't use it, but I'm wondering if there's a reason (haven't played enough to see what checks really come in where).

So, hoping you guys have some opinions on these, or other suggestions... and many thanks to Dono, Cyril, and crew for getting the species menagerie started. Now, if only my players would actually choose something from it, instead of Pantorans and Kiffar... :evil: ;)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Species] Pantoran
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:11 am 
Offline
Darth Plif: Hoopy Frood [Moderator]
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:03 am
Posts: 2110
Location: Ord Mantell (Lawton, OK)
You can also find the Pantoran species represented inthe novel "Scourge", as both a Jedi, and his vengeance/justice seeking sister.(smuggler)

_________________
FULONGAMER aka Johannes M. Bowers
http://thelostholocronpodcast.info/
It's not My planet Monkey-boy! / I Waste Him With My Bowcaster!
THIS is my LIGHT-Stick!, The next one of you Furry Tree-Hugger Yub-Yub Primitives EVEN TOUCHES me
...//FZOOOK!//

Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Species] Pantoran
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:22 am 
Offline
Council Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:08 pm
Posts: 8195
Location: Where I need to be.
I'd go with Option 2, but I'd also drop their starting XP to 100, as numbers-wise they're pretty similar to a Twi'lek, who pays for their Presence of 3 with a Brawn of 1, and given how dangerous combat can be, that itself is almost an XP tax unless you want your Twi'lek be badly wounded from even a basic blaster pistol shot.

A +2 to Starting Willpower is equivalent to getting the Grit talent twice, and with a minimum starting Strain Threshold of 14, that means more times they can push to take an extra maneuver, particularly as there are generally more ways to suffer Wound damage than Strain damage; yes I know blasters have a Stun setting, but said Stun setting also severely reduces the attackers' range.

_________________
"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"
- Luke Skybrewer, Bar Wars: Episode IV: A New Hops

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog
Follow me on Twitter at @donovan421


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Species] Pantoran
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:35 am 
Offline
Jedi Apprentice
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:29 pm
Posts: 448
Location: Bergen, Norway
An all 2 stat line makes sense.

A higher Strain at 11+ willpower could make sense, but 10+ is the "norm".

As for starting abilities: I like the cold environment ability, it useful, but limited.

Now, for the resolve talent versus free ranks. I'm not sure. If going for free ranks I'd go for resilience at least, that makes sense to the environment thing, but instead of vigilance I'd put discipline in there. Vigilance would be, in my experience, the obvious pick, its a very useful skill when it comes to combat - which this game sort of encourage; it being star wars and all - action packed adventure! Discipline would perhaps be an obvious choice too, but makes more sense in my opinion than vigilance.
You could even put survival in there instead - I mean, that skill encompasses a lot, but it could make sense if they're a frontier people used to living under harsh conditions. It does potentially ensure ... (upcoming pun) survival :P So resilience and survival could be two good alternatives too, where the obvious choice is not so easy to determine.

If going for the resolve talent - and no skills - I think I'd lower the starting xp to 100, its a useful ranked talent.

_________________
Go this way for the latest versions of my supplements.
The campaign I GM.
The campaign I actually get to play in!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Species] Pantoran
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:44 pm 
Offline
Jedi Knight

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 700
Donovan Morningfire wrote:
A +2 to Starting Willpower is equivalent to getting the Grit talent twice, and with a minimum starting Strain Threshold of 14, that means more times they can push to take an extra maneuver, particularly as there are generally more ways to suffer Wound damage than Strain damage; yes I know blasters have a Stun setting, but said Stun setting also severely reduces the attackers' range.


Ah yes... I hadn't actually calculated it like that, but I like the sound of it. In a way, high Strain threshold in general is almost a better catchall than Resolve.

I'll also drop it to 100XP if that sounds better... though, just in the interest of full disclosure, I was using your Chiss stats as a starting point (maybe it's the blue skin... heheh), sort of trying to frame Pantorans as a less political alternative. Since they have base thresholds of 11 and base stats of 2, plus Leadership or Vigilance, I used their 110XP as the basis for 110XP on this.

Jegergryte wrote:
As for starting abilities: I like the cold environment ability, it useful, but limited.


Yeah, it's really just an incidental nod, just because they don't seem to bundle up as heavily as Kenobi and Skywalker on Orto Plutonia.

Jegergryte wrote:
Now, for the resolve talent versus free ranks. I'm not sure. If going for free ranks I'd go for resilience at least, that makes sense to the environment thing, but instead of vigilance I'd put discipline in there. Vigilance would be, in my experience, the obvious pick, its a very useful skill when it comes to combat - which this game sort of encourage; it being star wars and all - action packed adventure! Discipline would perhaps be an obvious choice too, but makes more sense in my opinion than vigilance.


I think you're right. Discipline/Resilience seems to reflect the two possible personality types equally, Discipline being better for the shrewd politician we've seen in TCW, and Resilience for a terrestrial frontiersperson. I think they're just barely too civilized to go with Survival.

So, here's where we've landed then:
=======================
Pantoran
Wound Threshold: 10 + Brawn
Strain Threshold: 12 + Willpower
Starting XP: 100
All Characteristics: 2
Cold Resistance: When making skill checks, Pantorans may remove one setback die imposed due to cold environmental conditions.
Special Abilities: Pantorans begin the game with one free rank in Discipline or Resilience. They still may not train Discipline or Resilience above Rank 2 during character creation.
=======================

Thanks guys!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Species] Pantoran
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:31 pm 
Offline
Council Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:08 pm
Posts: 8195
Location: Where I need to be.
rcavanah wrote:
I'll also drop it to 100XP if that sounds better... though, just in the interest of full disclosure, I was using your Chiss stats as a starting point (maybe it's the blue skin... heheh), sort of trying to frame Pantorans as a less political alternative. Since they have base thresholds of 11 and base stats of 2, plus Leadership or Vigilance, I used their 110XP as the basis for 110XP on this.

Well, to be fair, I probably overpriced the Chiss when I wrote them, so they may not be the best barometer to use for a balanced species write-up :D

_________________
"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"
- Luke Skybrewer, Bar Wars: Episode IV: A New Hops

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog
Follow me on Twitter at @donovan421


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Species] Pantoran
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:43 pm 
Offline
Jedi Knight

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 700
Donovan Morningfire wrote:
rcavanah wrote:
I'll also drop it to 100XP if that sounds better... though, just in the interest of full disclosure, I was using your Chiss stats as a starting point (maybe it's the blue skin... heheh), sort of trying to frame Pantorans as a less political alternative. Since they have base thresholds of 11 and base stats of 2, plus Leadership or Vigilance, I used their 110XP as the basis for 110XP on this.

Well, to be fair, I probably overpriced the Chiss when I wrote them, so they may not be the best barometer to use for a balanced species write-up :D


Damn your pandering! Now you see what sort of chain of events you've set off for thousands of homebrew species to come! :lol:


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: