Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew

Post subject: [Species] Pantoran
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:25 pm 
Jedi Knight

Hey guys... brewing up some Pantoran stats for my wife's character, an Outlaw Tech (and, secretly, Force-Sensitive Exile).

We've only really seen Pantorans in a political setting, but I don't want to make the common concession of basing their species traits on their more well-known characters (read: I don't want to give them free ranks of Leadership, because they're not all senators). It's noted on Wookieepedia that they're likely frontiersmen, as they live on the outer rim in a cold climate. In general, their culture seems fairly proud and driven, oftentimes hot-tempered, and it's also noted that they practice a unique native religion (though no details are given).

=======================
[Option 1, standard humanoid numbers with Resolve talent]
Wound Threshold: 10 + Brawn
Strain Threshold: 10 + Willpower
Starting XP: 110
All Characteristics: 2
Cold Resistance: When making skill checks, Pantorans may remove one setback die imposed due to cold environmental conditions.
Talent Bonus: Pantorans begin play with one rank in the Resolve talent.
=======================

=======================
[Option 2, higher strain threshold with skill ranks instead]
Strain Threshold: 12 + Willpower
Starting XP: 110
Cold Resistance: When making skill checks, Pantorans may remove one setback die imposed due to cold environmental conditions.
Special Abilities: Pantorans begin the game with one free rank in Vigilance or Resilience. They still may not train Vigilance or Resilience above Rank 2 during character creation.
=======================

The Resolve talent is pretty powerful, so I didn't want to provide too much else in the way of numbers boosts. On the other hand, the other build seems fairly standard, but maybe that formula works best.

One more thing: In option 2, would it be overpowered to offer Discipline instead of Resilience? I noticed none of the existing species offer it as a start bonus, so I didn't use it, but I'm wondering if there's a reason (haven't played enough to see what checks really come in where).

So, hoping you guys have some opinions on these, or other suggestions... and many thanks to Dono, Cyril, and crew for getting the species menagerie started. Now, if only my players would actually choose something from it, instead of Pantorans and Kiffar... :evil: ;)

Post subject: Re: [Species] Pantoran
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:11 am 
Darth Plif: Hoopy Frood [Moderator]

You can also find the Pantoran species represented inthe novel "Scourge", as both a Jedi, and his vengeance/justice seeking sister.(smuggler)

THIS is my LIGHT-Stick!, The next one of you Furry Tree-Hugger Yub-Yub Primitives EVEN TOUCHES me
...//FZOOOK!//

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:22 am 
Council Member

I'd go with Option 2, but I'd also drop their starting XP to 100, as numbers-wise they're pretty similar to a Twi'lek, who pays for their Presence of 3 with a Brawn of 1, and given how dangerous combat can be, that itself is almost an XP tax unless you want your Twi'lek be badly wounded from even a basic blaster pistol shot.

A +2 to Starting Willpower is equivalent to getting the Grit talent twice, and with a minimum starting Strain Threshold of 14, that means more times they can push to take an extra maneuver, particularly as there are generally more ways to suffer Wound damage than Strain damage; yes I know blasters have a Stun setting, but said Stun setting also severely reduces the attackers' range.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog
Follow me on Twitter at @donovan421

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:35 am 
Jedi Apprentice

An all 2 stat line makes sense.

A higher Strain at 11+ willpower could make sense, but 10+ is the "norm".

As for starting abilities: I like the cold environment ability, it useful, but limited.

Now, for the resolve talent versus free ranks. I'm not sure. If going for free ranks I'd go for resilience at least, that makes sense to the environment thing, but instead of vigilance I'd put discipline in there. Vigilance would be, in my experience, the obvious pick, its a very useful skill when it comes to combat - which this game sort of encourage; it being star wars and all - action packed adventure! Discipline would perhaps be an obvious choice too, but makes more sense in my opinion than vigilance.
You could even put survival in there instead - I mean, that skill encompasses a lot, but it could make sense if they're a frontier people used to living under harsh conditions. It does potentially ensure ... (upcoming pun) survival :P So resilience and survival could be two good alternatives too, where the obvious choice is not so easy to determine.

If going for the resolve talent - and no skills - I think I'd lower the starting xp to 100, its a useful ranked talent.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:44 pm 
Jedi Knight

Donovan Morningfire wrote:
A +2 to Starting Willpower is equivalent to getting the Grit talent twice, and with a minimum starting Strain Threshold of 14, that means more times they can push to take an extra maneuver, particularly as there are generally more ways to suffer Wound damage than Strain damage; yes I know blasters have a Stun setting, but said Stun setting also severely reduces the attackers' range.

Ah yes... I hadn't actually calculated it like that, but I like the sound of it. In a way, high Strain threshold in general is almost a better catchall than Resolve.

I'll also drop it to 100XP if that sounds better... though, just in the interest of full disclosure, I was using your Chiss stats as a starting point (maybe it's the blue skin... heheh), sort of trying to frame Pantorans as a less political alternative. Since they have base thresholds of 11 and base stats of 2, plus Leadership or Vigilance, I used their 110XP as the basis for 110XP on this.

Jegergryte wrote:
As for starting abilities: I like the cold environment ability, it useful, but limited.

Yeah, it's really just an incidental nod, just because they don't seem to bundle up as heavily as Kenobi and Skywalker on Orto Plutonia.

Jegergryte wrote:
Now, for the resolve talent versus free ranks. I'm not sure. If going for free ranks I'd go for resilience at least, that makes sense to the environment thing, but instead of vigilance I'd put discipline in there. Vigilance would be, in my experience, the obvious pick, its a very useful skill when it comes to combat - which this game sort of encourage; it being star wars and all - action packed adventure! Discipline would perhaps be an obvious choice too, but makes more sense in my opinion than vigilance.

I think you're right. Discipline/Resilience seems to reflect the two possible personality types equally, Discipline being better for the shrewd politician we've seen in TCW, and Resilience for a terrestrial frontiersperson. I think they're just barely too civilized to go with Survival.

So, here's where we've landed then:
=======================
Pantoran
Strain Threshold: 12 + Willpower
Starting XP: 100
Special Abilities: Pantorans begin the game with one free rank in Discipline or Resilience. They still may not train Discipline or Resilience above Rank 2 during character creation.
=======================

Thanks guys!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:31 pm 
Council Member

rcavanah wrote:
I'll also drop it to 100XP if that sounds better... though, just in the interest of full disclosure, I was using your Chiss stats as a starting point (maybe it's the blue skin... heheh), sort of trying to frame Pantorans as a less political alternative. Since they have base thresholds of 11 and base stats of 2, plus Leadership or Vigilance, I used their 110XP as the basis for 110XP on this.

Well, to be fair, I probably overpriced the Chiss when I wrote them, so they may not be the best barometer to use for a balanced species write-up :D

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog
Follow me on Twitter at @donovan421

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:43 pm 
Jedi Knight

Donovan Morningfire wrote:
rcavanah wrote:

Well, to be fair, I probably overpriced the Chiss when I wrote them, so they may not be the best barometer to use for a balanced species write-up :D

Damn your pandering! Now you see what sort of chain of events you've set off for thousands of homebrew species to come! :lol:

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew