Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew

Post subject: Re: [Species] Unofficial Species Guide
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:48 pm 
Jedi Master

Location: In his usual booth at "The Rim", probably with a drink in hand...
Donovan Morningfire wrote:
Being able to start with a Force Rating 1 is worth 20 XP by itself, since it unlocks the Force powers without requiring the PC to take an additional career. And as Cyril said, it really isn't needed.

AH...crap. I overlooked that key point.

Co-Host of All Wings Report In, the Official Podcast of the Rebel Legion SW costume club
May the Dice be with you...

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:42 pm 
Sith Apprentice

I have to agree with Cyril's suggestions.

Being able to ignore setback dice from all concealment (especially if it's all setback dice regardless of range) is a helluva powerful perk, and definitely worth loosing the bonus skill ranks that Humans get as well as worth taking a hit to the Miraluka's starting XP. Just being able to negate setback dice from lighting conditions is sufficient for this ability.

Being able to start with a Force Rating 1 is worth 20 XP by itself, since it unlocks the Force powers without requiring the PC to take an additional career. And as Cyril said, it really isn't needed.

Most non-Human species get an "either/or" option if they have the choice of which skill gets a free rank, so a free rank in either Perception or Vigilance is also sufficient. If you do opt to give them a free rank in both, then I'd suggest docking an extra 10 XP off their starting XP budget, particularly as Vigilance is the more limited of the two in tems of which careers and specializations offer it as a career skill.

Force Sensitivity: I'd say keep it. It's not a cheap route to a Force Rating of 2, it's just an alternate route to Force Powers.

Force Sight: I'd actually remodel this based on your Special Ability grant. Since it's a ranked talent, they'd still have to buy one or the other to get into the Exile talent tree, but a Miraluka, relying on the Force for sight since birth, would have better-exercised that particular aspect of their senses than most.
Paired up with a free rank in either Perception or Vigilance, they're unlikely to be taken by surprise, or miss what they're looking for. A Miraluka who focuses those bonuses on one of the two skills is going to be top of his/her class.

XP: I'd definitely knock off another 10-20 XP. Maybe give 85 total. That covers the ability to gain access to the Force Power trees without the cost of the Exile specialization.

EotE Set Pieces (v1.9)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:46 pm 
n00b

Fantastic work! I am definitely allowing most/all of the species you made stats for to be playable in my campaign, and will be using them for many NPCs.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the Herglics tho. Especially coming from Saga, where they were large sized and very sturdy.

For my campaign I changed them a bit.

I wasn't sure why they had a willpower penalty and no penalty to dex. All the source material I could find for them online says that they are huge and barely fit into conventional sized objects/spaces, but has no mention of them having low willpower. To me, this basically spells out a penalty to dex and no penalty to Willpower. (Will 2, Dex 1).

Secondly, since they are so large I figured they could learn to use their size to intimidate others, or use their friendly gregarious nature. Rather than just giving them a free rank in charm, I give them the option of a free rank in charm or coercion.

Lastly, since most of the fluff online mentions that they are very hearty and sturdy (thickly lined with whale blubber and muscle), I gave them a talent bonus of Durable.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:37 pm 
Sith Lord

ianinak wrote:
Fantastic work! I am definitely allowing most/all of the species you made stats for to be playable in my campaign, and will be using them for many NPCs.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the Herglics tho. Especially coming from Saga, where they were large sized and very sturdy.

For my campaign I changed them a bit.

I wasn't sure why they had a willpower penalty and no penalty to dex. All the source material I could find for them online says that they are huge and barely fit into conventional sized objects/spaces, but has no mention of them having low willpower. To me, this basically spells out a penalty to dex and no penalty to Willpower. (Will 2, Dex 1).

Secondly, since they are so large I figured they could learn to use their size to intimidate others, or use their friendly gregarious nature. Rather than just giving them a free rank in charm, I give them the option of a free rank in charm or coercion.

Lastly, since most of the fluff online mentions that they are very hearty and sturdy (thickly lined with whale blubber and muscle), I gave them a talent bonus of Durable.

Durable's not a bad choice. As for the penalty to Willpower, it was all based on their species-wide inability to say no to games of chance and gambling, but I could see a penalty to Agility based on their massive size as well.

AsaTJ wrote:
Cyril wrote:
Only if I can call him one bad motheryubber in game.

And every once in a while, I am reminded why this is the best forum community on the Internet.

PBP Characters
ARC 84-1263

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:33 pm 
Geek In Training

I have been thinking about bringing my current group across to EotE, as a couple of them are having some difficulty getting to grips with the rules in Saga (it is their first foray into PnP RPGS). A handy bonus is that the talent trees in Edge are somewhat similar in how they skill trees were in Star Wars Galaxies MMO, which they do have experience of.

To this the Species guide has been brilliant. However, I would like to ask how would you go about stating out a Feeorin (the player did make him rather old in order to benefit from the age bonus they get, kind of power gamery but I did like his unknowning suggestion of what is essentially a cool obligation). My initial thoughts were to use the Gamorrean stats you have with perhaps him having a boost dice to either Athletics or Coordination checks.

I was curious with the Shistavanen stats, from all the write up of them being xenophobic I would have thought they would have been more likely to have a Presence 1 rather than a Brawn 1. I should say that is only going off the little that is in the Saga Unkown Regions and the Wookieepedia bit about them.

Edit: Changed the notion of giving a Boost to Brawn or Agility checks to simply being Athletics or Coordination.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:43 pm 
Youngling

DarthGM wrote:
AH...crap. I overlooked that key point.

Not sure if this is helpful, but my math says that Force Rating 1 is worth 10 points; Reason being that each other new career grants you the benefit of two 5-point talents (granting you 4 additional career skills in total) and Force Rating 1 is available as an alternative to 4 career skills.

Entering a new Specialization always grants you 10xp worth of stuff, in addition to unlocking the specialization tree (which costs 10 xp for # of specializations-1).

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:29 pm 
Sith Lord

Darkholme wrote:
Not sure if this is helpful, but my math says that Force Rating 1 is worth 10 points; Reason being that each other new career grants you the benefit of two 5-point talents (granting you 4 additional career skills in total) and Force Rating 1 is available as an alternative to 4 career skills.

Entering a new Specialization always grants you 10xp worth of stuff, in addition to unlocking the specialization tree (which costs 10 xp for # of specializations-1).

Don't forget that Force Rating also unlocks all Force Powers for purchase. It's a pretty big deal, so much so that I'd say it's worth more than 10 XP. 20 is a little high for FR 1 all by itself, but IMO putting it at 10 is undervaluing it.

My PbP Characters:
Jjak Halcyon - Cadbur

Post Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:09 pm 
Sith Lord

Darkholme wrote:

It's not really 4, though. Depending on how closely related the new class is, you'll be getting only 3 or even 2 new career skills.

Anyway, like Dono says, FR is a huge deal, so you should err on the side of making it expensive.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:03 pm 
Council Member

For those newer folks looking for a copy of the last version of the Unofficial Species Menagerie to be released (now that the GSA has departed for the Undying Lands), here's the link to the web archive site:

https://archive.org/details/UnofficialSpeciesMenagerieV3rev

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog
Follow me on Twitter at @donovan421

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:20 pm 
n00b

DarthGM wrote:
Wound Threshold: 10+Brawn
Strain Threshold: 10+Willpower
Starting XP: 100
Force Sensitive: All Miraluka start with Force Rating 1

I agree with Donovan here: there needs to be a pretty hefty XP penalty to start with Force Rating 1. I also went with a 20XP penalty for my own homebrew Miraluka, which I'll get to below.

DarthGM wrote:
Force Sight: Miraluka preceive the world around them in the Force. While this allows them to see as well as other races, there are some limitations. As an Incidental action, Miraluka can commit a number of Force Dice to remove an equal number of SetBack dice caused by Concealment until the start of their next turn. Miraluka cannot distinguish colors, and suffer one or more SetBack die in situations where color is an important factor.

I did the above similarly, but tried to make their Force Sight and more direct link to the Force leave the Miraluka more vulnerable to both the Dark and Light around them. Here's my own homebrew version of the species:

Miraluka

BR: 2
AG: 2
IN: 2
CU: 2
WP: 2
PS: 2

• Wound Threshold: 9 + BR
  • Strain Threshold: 11 + WP
  • Starting Experience: 80XP
  • Special Abilities: Miraluka begin the game with one rank in Vigilance. They still may not train Vigilance above rank 2 during character creation.
  • Force-sensitivity: The Miraluka are an inherently Force-sensitive species. A Miraluka character begins the game with Force Rating 1.
  • Force Sight: The Miraluka have evolved to "see" the essence of their surroundings in the Force, but are conventionally blind and retain only vestigial eye sockets. To gain visual information from any Perception check above easy difficulty, a Miraluka must roll at least one Force die as a part of the check and must expend at least one of the Force points generated by the roll (not as a success or advantage). If the Force is suppressed for some reason, a Miraluka is completely blind and must add 2 Setback dice to checks for any actions which would be impaired without visual perception.

The idea here is that, to the Miraluka, the Force is more of a live wire when it comes to Perception. If a Miraluka reaches out with the Force to perceive her surroundings and finds lingering Darkness, she instinctually spends the Force Point rolled and takes the Conflict, attuning (even if only for a moment) to the evil of her surroundings.

That vulnerability to darkness will more acutely affect Miraluka who are untrained and have not improved their Force Rating. Those who could roll 2, 3, or 4 Force dice are more likely to come up with at least one Light Side point. So, characters who get Force Rating 1 early and outside F&D careers receive an unpredictable drawback of potential automatic Dark Side Points and Conflict. As they develop their understanding of the Force that drawback can be mitigated, but not ever completely removed.

It's also important to note that rolling a Force die for visual information doesn't activate the Sense power if the character hasn't purchased it yet, and additional Force points generated could not be spent as successes or advantages in such a case.

The mechanic is sort of inspired by the way Visas Marr describes how she was affected by merely perceiving the massacre on Katarr during KOTOR II.

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Homebrew