Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » d20 Radio Podcasts » Tabletop RPG Podcasts » The Order 66 Podcast - FFG Edition

Post subject: Ask GM Dave
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:35 pm 
Program Director

Do you need advice? Do you have thick skin and won't be pissed if your friendly host turns on you instead of the person or issue you may be having a problem with? Send your question and let GM Dave answer it in his special way, on the show, with no filter.

Make sure the question can be read in less than 30 seconds, and be prepared for what may follow!

<EDIT: This is not a rules or mechanics advice segment at all, your mechanical or rules questions are best left in Messages From the Edge for discussion on the show. This is more of a "Dear Abby" kind of thing, where Dave will be helping you navigate the thorny problems that come up outside the rules and mechanics of the game, like what to do with a spouse that does not respect gaming, or a GM who is not courteous at times...the intangibles of life. Even what to do if your kid has decided to start a spice habit. I am here for you. Sort of./EDIT>

Post subject: Re: Ask GM Dave
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:16 am 
n00b

Hi Dave, I never listen to the order 66 podcast and this is my first time on the forum so be gentle! I have a question regarding limited ammo weapons and the linked quality. I GM a group that uses a pair of Y wings and the proton torpedoes are limited ammo 8, linked 1. Does this mean that they fire 2 torpedos each time, so carry 16? Or do they carry 8 and thus can fire 4 times? Both myself and the groups quartermaster would be most greatfull for your wisdom. Sex in advance, Mandalore the litigator.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:02 am 
Sith Lord

MandoTheLitigator wrote:
I GM a group that uses a pair of Y wings and the proton torpedoes are limited ammo 8, linked 1. Does this mean that they fire 2 torpedos each time, so carry 16? Or do they carry 8 and thus can fire 4 times?

I want to semi-answer the question, but then add to it for Dave:
This was asked in the Developer Answers thread over on the FFG forum, and Sam Stewart answered that officially, Limited Ammo specifies the number of rounds loaded, and each time you fire, you use up multiple rounds based on the degree of Linked. The Y-wing can fire four times before it runs out of torpedoes.

Sam suggests that, with GM permission, you can conserve ammo by declaring that you're firing only one torpedo, but the weapon effectively loses the Linked quality for that shot.

So for Dave:
Would you allow a house rule that the launcher normally fires one missile only, and if you get enough advantage and activate Linked, you retroactively launch the additional missile(s)? Would that be overpowered, or stretching the narrative too much?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:26 pm 
n00b

Or in that case when you drop linked, could you also drop the slow fire rating like the alternating fire concussion launcher on the heavy Z 95 from stay on target?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:29 pm 
n00b

Hi GM Dave,

I am running a Force and Destiny campaign for my friends who are longtime gamers, and new to this system.

One player opted to start with a lowered Morality score so that he could use dark side pips on Force rolls, claiming he wanted to play as a "very grey" kind of character.

The problem I have now is that almost everything he wants his character to do is so selfish, mean, or excessively violent that my other players feel compelled to stop him--lest I give them any Conflict for merely standing by--but he refuses to compromise, citing his character's "Obstinance" emotional weakness.

I feel my other players won't tolerate his behavior much longer, but I really want to avoid actual "PvP" combat if possible. I also don't think the problem player would enjoy re-rolling as a more "Good"-aligned character if he was forced to do so.

Is there a way for me to resolve this situation in- or out-of-game as the GM, without alienating any of my players?

Thanks,
Starkiller212

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:41 pm 
Gamer

Point of Clarification:
"I feel my other players won't tolerate his behavior much longer,"

Did you mean PCs or is it indeed every single other person in the room that this guy is pissing off?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:59 pm 
Order 66 Archivist

Hey Dave, what do you do if you have a person at the table that has an issue with hygiene?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:37 am 
Gamer

Dear Dave,

What do you do when you forgot/misinterpreted a rule, then realized the mistake later that session?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:43 pm 
Order 66 Archivist

Dear GM Dave,
What do you do when you roll well enough to defuse an encounter before it starts and then the GM makes it go forward anyway?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:50 am 
Youngling

Hey dave, I'm currently running a game with my girlfriend, my bestfriend, and his girlfriend. I'm the only experienced roleplayer in the group. We've played 4 sessions now, and everytime my friend has got annoyed with something or another and made the game stressful for me, my girlfriend, and my buddys girlfriend. He aplogized this most recent time after becoming annoyed at the difference between charm and deception and walked away from the table telling us it didnt matter. He tells me he wants to keep playing and seems excited about it leading up to the session but inevitably becomes a douche. I'm not sure if he's just bad at roleplaying or if I'm doing something wrong as a GM. Help :oops: !!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:32 am 
Padawan Learner

Hey GM Dave...
I gots me one good one...
What would you do if, while running a SW game, if a player keeps saying (in GM Chris' perfect nerd voice) "Well, it was not like THAT in the expanded universe, so you should change the game to reflect blah blah blah..."?
I'm thinkin' of my old stand by of "get bent", but they insist that you run it like it was in the comics/books that you may or may not have read. And the game grinds to a halt.
They INSIST dammit!
Whacha do in that example?

Cheers!
\m/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4_dZPVg8KI

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:36 am 
Padawan Learner

Got another one...
GM Dave, what would you do when the rest of the table does not chip in for sodas/beer or snacks, but you are having the game at your house?

Or you buy the beers/snacks, and no one chips in to pay for it. A few times, no biggie, but when it happens almost every time? And I want a soda/brewski, so when I get one out, some of them are wondering if they can have them too....
Thanks!
\m/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4_dZPVg8KI

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:07 am 
Super Hero in Training

Dear Dave,

After all my years of enjoying tabletop RPGs, I finally ran into the second most awkward situation the other day. Our party was meeting up with a contact and new player's char that session, and all this was happening in a bar. The GM brings in some gangmembers to start shooting up the place, and the closest person to the entrance was the new player. His abilities could have slaughtered the baddies quickly, but instead, he screamed at the GM "Why would these guys start attacking me?" "That makes no sense." "I wasn't doing anything...." "I haven't even talked with the party yet, they wouldn't know to attack me!" and so on.

Our GM is brand new (his second session, maybe 2 hours of experience), and was dumbfounded. The GM tried to explain, but it wasn't working. The player wouldn't accept it. We got the player calmed down after a min or two, once he started attacking the baddies. From GM experience, I would have stated "Your character wouldn't know why he was being attacked" (unless he did). The mood of the session was completely destroyed. The rest of the party continued to play, as the GM was doing good otherwise, but this last player was grumpy the rest of the time!

How would you handle this situation? Help us GM Dave! You are our only hope!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:42 pm 
n00b

Hey Gamer Nation!

First off I never listen to the order 66 podcast because it's hard to hear over all of the blaster fire in this cantina.
Hey GM's Dave & Chris & Phil

I'm a new GM and working on my groups first game in FFG Star Wars one of my players wants to take extra obligation at the start to start with the Coronet Arms Equalizer. This seems like it would be game breaking at the start and I don't want to break combat for the other 2 players by having him outshine them.

At what point would giving them a weapon like this make sense? The other 2 players are a droid and a Jedi Jawa do I wait until the jawa gets a lightsaber for something like the equalizer to make sense? Sex in Advance Darth Scout

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:10 am 
Princess of Alderaan [Lead Moderator]

Most of the posting/discussions is now happening on the Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Gamernation/
so that might net you more/faster answers.

Henceforth, when I post in purple, I am posting as Lead Mod.

Board index » d20 Radio Podcasts » Tabletop RPG Podcasts » The Order 66 Podcast - FFG Edition