Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » d20 Radio Podcasts » Tabletop RPG Podcasts » The Order 66 Podcast - FFG Edition

Post subject: The guests keep coming, on the NEXT Episode, THIS SUNDAY!
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:36 am 
GM

You've got to love FFG.

We're proud to welcome Edge of the Empire lead developer, Sam Stewart, to our next episode of the Order 66 Podcast, this Sunday night!

The topic of the evening?? STARSHIPS. One of Sam's passions in the game, and something we're all eager to geek out about. So join us!

The live simulcast will be at 8:30pm CST, Sunday, Feb. 17. http://www.justin.tv/d20radio

If you all have any questions for Sam Stewart, please feel free to post them up in this thread. We'll do our best to get to them.

Post subject: Re: The guests keep coming, on the NEXT Episode, THIS SUNDAY
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:02 pm 
Jedi Knight

Very nice. I look forward to it.

My Star Wars D6 Game
My Star Wars Saga Game
Secede from the Empire!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:41 pm 
Jedi Master

Location: In his usual booth at "The Rim", probably with a drink in hand...
Sweeeeet.

:mrgreen:

I'll have something more fluffy this time around for Fragments, I think.

Gotta admit, after the last show and the discussions I've had with Dono on the matter, I'm curious what his take is on the Quick Strike talent and how often it can be used ("per round" or "first round only").

Co-Host of All Wings Report In, the Official Podcast of the Rebel Legion SW costume club
May the Dice be with you...

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:15 pm 
Council Member

Given that I've been working on EotE stat blocks for several different ship and vehicle designs for the GSA's Equipment Labs feature, I'm very interested to hear what Sam has to say about starships in this system.

DarthGM wrote:
Gotta admit, after the last show and the discussions I've had with Dono on the matter, I'm curious what his take is on the Quick Strike talent and how often it can be used ("per round" or "first round only").

Side note, but one of the FFG forumite's got a response from Chris Gerber, Managing RPG Producer that Quick Strike is "once per encounter." Somehow I doubt we'll have another "Rodney vs. Sarli" type of debate over it.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog
Follow me on Twitter at @donovan421 (warning: expect lots of cute critter retweets)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:43 pm 
Super Hero in Training

Like my last question it will probably be covered by GM Chris and GM Dave during the interview section but I'll toss them out anyway. (I love that my questions are almost redundant, this is the reason why I'm now a fan of the podcast)

What have been the challenges coming from a universe so dark as Warhammer 40K to something that is much more of a Saturday matinee flavour for tone?

The next part is sort of a follow on question/modifier/possibly better question:

It is Star Wars, but Star Wars means so many different things to such a wide variety of people, and it is fun to see something that is 'close to the dirt' like Edge of the Empire. What went into the decision to go with such an organic rise in scope of the planned core books?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:43 pm 
Padawan Learner

GM Chris wrote:
If you all have any questions for Sam Stewart, please feel free to post them up in this thread. We'll do our best to get to them.

Does Mr. Stewart have any suggestions for running starship combat when you've got six characters on a single ship? I'm expecting next session to run the space encounter from the Beginner Game with six PCs, and I'm very concerned that two of the characters will have nothing to do.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:59 am 
Jedi Master

Donovan Morningfire wrote:
Side note, but one of the FFG forumite's got a response from Chris Gerber, Managing RPG Producer that Quick Strike is "once per encounter." Somehow I doubt we'll have another "Rodney vs. Sarli" type of debate over it.

Gotcha! Sounds good to me!

Thanks for the update, Dono! (i've avoided those boards; WAY TOO CLUNKY to get to, can't find an avatar I like from their limited list, and the forum posters are much more civil over here)

Co-Host of All Wings Report In, the Official Podcast of the Rebel Legion SW costume club

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26 am 
Jedi Apprentice

This is going to be sweet! Basically I'd like to know everything that he can tell us about starship design, conversion and the like - as you know I have keen interest in this area of the game (and I've had since early D6 days).

I'd like him to give a rationale for (or superficial insight into) the encumbrance of the various starships based on the tonnage of earlier RPG versions. If that was at all taken into account, and if so, did it served as an important or only rough guideline? And how does this relate to the size/silhouette of the starships - does this affect encumbrance capacity?

I know this has been answered/discussed before, but this is an issue that I'm trying to figure out, and I wonder if I'm on the right track...

Also, the decision to make something silhouette 5 versus 4 - is this a combination of length (width, height) and cargo/tonnage capacity? or is this also more or less arbitrary... I'm trying to perfect my conversion work.

And, what does he think about starship backpacks (i.e. crates)?

Also (yes I have a few questions) - what is the reasoning behind giving the Ghtroc 720 and the YT-1300 different sensor ranges? Or is this a typo?

Is there an intended limit on sensor range for the different silhouettes?

Talking about sensors: the sensor range is not necessarily very far - in astronomical terms - but you "generic" star system, would someone arriving close to say Earth, in a YT-1300 (or Ghtroc 720 for that matter), be able to pick up signals or sensor blips from Mars or Venus? What about Jupiter, or Pluto? I know the idea is to have an abstract range system - but I wondered if it is "allowed", within the intended rules to let someone notice a blip at the edge of a system... but no info about it necessarily except if its a planet or some moving object not necessarily tied to an orbit around the system's Sun(s). If its a comet, meteor or starship is hard to discern at such a range...

How would you treat and resolve ramming another ship - or using a speeder (or starship) to ram a group of minions using jet packs, but also on the ground?

When targeting another ship does the defender always choose the defence zone for all starship sizes, except when succeeding in the "Gain the Advantage" action? Or does this only apply for silhouette 1-4 (or 1-5) starships?
-Also, may this Action be used to negate ones own penalties from having used the Evasive Manoeuvres ... manoeuvre? If I understand it correctly, it can.

When using both Evasive Manoeuvres and Gain the Advantage the ship cannot move or change ranges to others involved in the encounter - but would you let it move within its own range band, to gain cover or concealment behind an asteroid from that evil looking ISD sneaking up behind that moon back there? Or would that be a Fly/drive manoeuvre that I'd have to use instead of either the evasive manoeuvres or gain advantage action?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:39 am 
Council Member

DarthGM wrote:
Thanks for the update, Dono! (i've avoided those boards; WAY TOO CLUNKY to get to, can't find an avatar I like from their limited list, and the forum posters are much more civil over here)

Yeah, I'm pretty much ready to give up on those boards, at least until the book actually comes out. Getting tired of being subjected to witch hunts based on unfounded delusions and jackass know-it-alls who think they know better than everyone else including the people that actually worked on the game.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog
Follow me on Twitter at @donovan421 (warning: expect lots of cute critter retweets)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:56 am 
Jedi Master

Here's a question; what Talents can be used in vehicle/starship combat? Lethal Blows? Sense Danger? Dodge? Sixth Sense? Some talents specifically say "character", but others have no such distinction.

Lethal Blows makes sense to allow for use in Starship Combat. Sixth Sense too, but a flat "+1 ranged defense" seems to hint that it's only good for character scale, as there is no "melee defense" distinction for vehicles. BUT it would help reinforce the whole "Force Sensitive pilots have an edge over non-Force Sensitives".

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:10 pm 
Sith Warrior

I'd love to know what he thinks of this radar map I made, but only if he likes it, cuz I'm sensitive. :P (of course, I know it has its limits, but I'm having fun using it when all the characters are aboard a single starship; it's similar to OCR/RCR, but fits this system better, what with the abstract range system and all...)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:55 pm 
Darth Plif: Hoopy Frood [Moderator]

Admitting fully that I utterly loathe any flavor of "relative virtual simulation" for my SWRPG combat (the greatest glaring mistake of OCR), I will offer some fair and impartial suggestioons for the range marker/mat thingy.

Perhaps either stick with 360 degrees, or properly allocate the %. That means you may be better off with 5x 20% pentagonal segments, with the front left and right being 40% and counting as "front", the rear left and right "flanks" being 20% each, and the direct "rear" arc segment being 20%. Alternately you may break out full 10% segments, grouping them in arcs that are appropriate.

Otherwise where is the 91-100% portion of the chart? (it does look all kinds of pretty tho, very awesome, and bootleggable for other purposes.)

Maps are one of my passions, and I love minis in my games. The radar screen approach failed utterly for SWRPG before, and I hold no personal hope that it will survive long into the FFG rotation of things. It was barely adequate for 1:1 duels. The instant more than 2 combatants are involved, the duplication of effort to depict everyone's "personal battlespace" and mutual relative confuzzlement becomes a hideously painful thing to watch. I will have no part of it.

Map. Minis. It HAS a place, and this is one of them. Outside of a simple dragrace or a 1 on 1 dogfight, narrative does not cut it in my book.

THIS is my LIGHT-Stick!, The next one of you Furry Tree-Hugger Yub-Yub Primitives EVEN TOUCHES me
...//FZOOOK!//

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:42 pm 
Sith Warrior

FULONGAMER wrote:
Perhaps either stick with 360 degrees, or properly allocate the %. That means you may be better off with 5x 20% pentagonal segments, with the front left and right being 40% and counting as "front", the rear left and right "flanks" being 20% each, and the direct "rear" arc segment being 20%. Alternately you may break out full 10% segments, grouping them in arcs that are appropriate.

Otherwise where is the 91-100% portion of the chart? (it does look all kinds of pretty tho, very awesome, and bootleggable for other purposes.)

Thanks! The percentages are only used for randomized combat encounters, to see what angles new ships approach from, where 1-10 mean no ships appear, and 90-100 means to reroll twice.

FULONGAMER wrote:
Maps are one of my passions, and I love minis in my games. The radar screen approach failed utterly for SWRPG before, and I hold no personal hope that it will survive long into the FFG rotation of things. It was barely adequate for 1:1 duels. The instant more than 2 combatants are involved, the duplication of effort to depict everyone's "personal battlespace" and mutual relative confuzzlement becomes a hideously painful thing to watch. I will have no part of it.

Map. Minis. It HAS a place, and this is one of them. Outside of a simple dragrace or a 1 on 1 dogfight, narrative does not cut it in my book.

I agree, but I suppose my radar map was a happy medium between hex-mapped combat and narrated combat. And, to be fair, my thread about it does state that it's strictly for use when the players are all aboard the same ship. I played it tonight and it worked perfectly (also detailed in the thread is the set of rules I used for movement, with the PC ship on the axes and NPC ships on the wedges).

If you're super strict about rules, then yeah, I'm sure you'd end up breaking it. But my players tend to get really bored with starship combat, so I tweaked things a bit to turn it into a sort of tower defense minigame instead. I know some like hexes, but it was just really sluggish for us. The radar preserved the idea that it's all happening at top speed.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:03 pm 
n00b

very nice :)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:22 pm 
Geek In Training

When is the next episode scheduled?

Board index » d20 Radio Podcasts » Tabletop RPG Podcasts » The Order 66 Podcast - FFG Edition