Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » d20 Radio Podcasts » Tabletop RPG Podcasts » The Order 66 Podcast - FFG Edition

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: Messages From the Edge
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:37 am 
n00b

Darth Pseudonym wrote:
By the way, I think 'relieving you of command' is the phrase you were looking for -- the captain can relinquish command, but that's only if he gives it up willingly.

Good point, well made. It was late and I think I had a "brain fart". :)

TheLonelySandPerson wrote:
They would have to do something pretty egregious to have that happen, but I wouldn't say it's off the table.

Well....I don't think my players read the forums and if this gets on air events will have moved on in game so I *think* I'm safe to share....I'm amongst friends....

So while I was originally pondering this as a "what if" academic question the situation I have in one of my games is as follows (cutting a long story short):

The players have discovered that the Empire has discovered the location of their base and, worse than that, there is an informant in the base feeding details to their Imperial Masters.

Originally I had an NPC in mind as the spy (and the majority of the Players seem to have jumped to a conclusion as to who the culprit is) but I figured that a great twist would be to have one of the PCs turn out to be the spy. I approached a player privately and they were all for it. Result.

The thing is when their duplicity is revealed and it becomes clear that they are selling secrets to the Empire, for what they consider to be justifiable reasons (the Player came up with a fantastic bit of input there, I thought we'd have to write out the character after the revelation but they gave a really convincing reason why their character would do it and still consider themselves loyal to the Rebellion) how would/should that affect Duty?

Their specifc duty is Personnel - to them they are protecting certain persons by handing the information to the Empire, but the Chain of Command will likely view their actions as irresponsible at best and treasonous at worst.

At what point is Duty a measure of how the PC feels they are contributing to the Rebellion vs an award bestowed by/a perception of those higher up the command ladder?

If Duty is partially or solely the PC feeling that they have served well then there should be no impact at all, in fact he could argue that the risks he has taken could merit a Duty award....while if Duty is dependent on his commanding officer, who is now likely to have to organise a mass evacuation before the hammer of the Empire falls on them, he's certainly not going to earn any and I could see the arguement with stripping him of some of his current duty points.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:59 pm 
Jedi Apprentice

Duty is explicitly based on command's perception of the PC's actions. It can be affected by a Propagandist talking up the PC's accomplishments with Positive Spin, for example.

The PC is taking a narrative bullet for you, here, so don't punish them for it. I'd use this as the setup for another story -- a rescue mission to get the PC's relative out of danger, for example, or a Midway-like chance to exploit the Empire's trust in this source to lure them into a trap that makes the loss of the facility worth it.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:18 am 
n00b

The PC is taking a narrative bullet for you, here, so don't punish them for it. I'd use this as the setup for another story -- a rescue mission to get the PC's relative out of danger, for example, <snip>.

Have you been reading my notes? ;)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:49 pm 
n00b

Is there any indication of when Barabels will be released as a species? I was hoping that they would be in the No Disintegrations book, instead of the repeat species. Next time a FFG guest is on, would someone mind asking?

Thanks,
Draekon

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:32 pm 
Council Member

Draekon Darkstorm wrote:
Is there any indication of when Barabels will be released as a species? I was hoping that they would be in the No Disintegrations book, instead of the repeat species. Next time a FFG guest is on, would someone mind asking?

Thanks,
Draekon

That falls under "we can't talk about future products that haven't been announced, or talk about details about upcoming products that haven't been announced on the FFG website."

At this point, my guess would be the Warrior sourcebook for the FaD product line. There was a Barabel Jedi Master in Legends that was part of Luke's New Jedi Order, and the species does have a pretty strong tie to Jedi in terms of their near-reverence for them.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog
Follow me on Twitter at @donovan421

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm 
n00b

Thanks. They were one of my favorite species before. I liked the feral, hunter aspect of them.

Draekon

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:21 pm 
n00b

Hi there,

I had the following problem in my last Session. My PCs have a small and fast YT-1760 Freighter. They where snooping around deep in Hutt Space where they have no right to be. After dropping out of Hyperspace they realize the presence of a Mistrel Class Yacht in the System. Now vastly outgunned, they want to avoid detection and sneak past this Mistrel Yacht to the Planet Surface. I tried to find some rules for this encounter, specifically trying to avoid detection of one's Spaceship but I was not able to find anything. Did I miss something? How would you handle this situation.

Sex in Advance!
cya
Tycho

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:04 pm 
Jedi Apprentice

Tycho wrote:
I had the following problem in my last Session. My PCs have a small and fast YT-1760 Freighter. They where snooping around deep in Hutt Space where they have no right to be. After dropping out of Hyperspace they realize the presence of a Mistrel Class Yacht in the System. Now vastly outgunned, they want to avoid detection and sneak past this Mistrel Yacht to the Planet Surface. I tried to find some rules for this encounter, specifically trying to avoid detection of one's Spaceship but I was not able to find anything. Did I miss something? How would you handle this situation.

You didn't miss anything; the rules are essentially the same as when you sneak on foot. You would generally use Stealth for this, though I would insist that the PCs come up with some way to sneak in this situation -- flying to the planet while making a Stealth roll would be a bit like rolling Stealth to "sneak" across the open floor of a ballroom. If nothing else, shutting down all power, going ballistic, and playing asteroid is an acknowledged tactic, though I'd look askance at doing it at too high a speed. And the Minstrel might have objections to a sizable asteroid hitting near their spaceport.

Sensor range is usually hand-waved until it's important, but the Minstrel has Medium-range sensors. This mainly suggests how many maneuvers it'll take to clear its sensor range, or get low enough to get lost in ground clutter. It would be entirely valid to circle around and approach from behind the planet, too, so I'd have an alternate plan for what happens if they want to do that and fly atmospheric to their destination.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:56 am 
Sith Lord

Tycho wrote:
they want to avoid detection and sneak past this Mistrel Yacht to the Planet Surface. I tried to find some rules for this encounter, specifically trying to avoid detection of one's Spaceship but I was not able to find anything.

You didn't miss anything; the rules are essentially the same as when you sneak on foot.

Potentially. I've always been a big fan of using nonstandard skill/ability combinations to represent using those skills in unusual circumstances. Depending on how the players want to approach it, you might have them use Stealth with a different ability, or Cunning with a different skill.

If they want to shut down and play meteor (a move the Legends/EU used to call 'the Selonian Run'), you might call for a Stealth roll based on Intellect instead of Cunning, both for getting their ballistic trajectory just right and for knowing exactly when to cut the engines back in (below where they'll be detected but in time to stop before hitting the ground). If they're going to try to use precision flying to keep debris in the system between them and the ship, a Cunning-based Piloting check would be appropriate.

This would also be a good time to ask them to use destiny to add a story element. "Are there any meteors or space junk around that we can try to stay behind?" "There are if you flip a destiny point..." Maybe the Minstrel just finished gunning down another ship that tried to get past, and they can use that debris field to screen their own approach.

Astrogation might come into it, if they want to try to stay far out, loop around, and (as Sandy mentioned) enter atmo from outside the Minstrel's view. Computers could work if they wanted to try to jam the other ship's sensors, throw false return signals to screw up their detection equipment, or something of that nature. (They'd know SOMETHING happened, but not necessarily WHAT.)

Stuff like this is where the 'say yes' philosophy really shines. Let the players come up with an idea, ask for a destiny point if the plan depends on some piece of set-dressing or lucky coincidence, figure out what skill (and potentially attribute) would apply, and let them do the heavy lifting of explaining how they pull off this stunt.

As far as sensor ranges, see the sidebar on EotE p227/AoR p239 for some details on that, and keep in mind that orbital Long Range can be a significant portion of a planetary diameter. Sure, theoretically a ship could see anything they have a direct line of sight to, but in the vast distances of space, an enemy ship is a tiny speck among tiny specks. Without a strong sensor return, it's hard to tell if that's a ship, a rock, or just debris (there's lots of that in Star Wars space), whether it's hot or cold, and even whether it's maneuvering or not. That's what maximum sensor range is all about -- at what point does the ship get a good enough look to flag them as another ship?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:52 am 
n00b

Hey guys!

Long time non-listener, first time posting.
I'll try to write my question in character (love those bits):

"To: Republic High Command
Subject: New jedi agents

My battalion is lucky enough to have been selected to henceforth be supported by five (FIVE!) capable jedi knights in our struggle against the separatist forces.

As the quartermaster of the battalion I am however worried with regards to how I should distribute our ressources among these jedi and our other troops.

As you probably know, jedi take up a lot of a units ressources (armor, equipment, weapons, ships), and they do not seem to mind when they break or lose these ressources - that, apparently, is MY job.

So, how am I as a quartermaster supposed to limit the acces to these ressources by the jedi? Do I simply tell them "no more armor for you my good knight"? Or do you have some sort of reward system that I could use in this situation?

Kind regards,
Quartermaster Bro"

TL;DR: I will soon be running a campaign set in the clone wars era, where the party as jedi will be participating in the clone wars. I am, however, worried with how I reasonably could limit the players with regards to credits, armor, attachments, weapons, equipment, etc., as the republic seems rather capable of supplying their troops.

Should I give them credits from time to time? And how would I justify this?
I am afraid that my party will get their hands on too many ressouces, and that this will completely eliminate any progression with regards to equipment.

Kind regards,
LetsBbros

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:37 am 
Sith Lord

LetsBbros wrote:
TL;DR: I will soon be running a campaign set in the clone wars era, where the party as jedi will be participating in the clone wars. I am, however, worried with how I reasonably could limit the players with regards to credits, armor, attachments, weapons, equipment, etc., as the republic seems rather capable of supplying their troops.

Based on this description I'm gonna assume you're starting as Knight Level characters, but everyone is assumed to be taking the lightsaber rather than 9,000 credits. Are you using only Morality or were you planning to use both Duty and Morality? Using both is fine, as long as the players are aware that one of the two is going to start at the base point (50 morality or 0 duty) and the other will be what they can trade for starting credits or XP.

I do recommend using Duty, since it's right there as a way to dole out acceptable amounts of materiel to the group. They can pick gear, ships, and other items based on their contributions to the cause.

If you feel like you need to explain why a galactic republic can't just give them anything they want, the very real logistics of a galaxy-wide war should be sufficient explanation: Even if there are millions of suits of armor around, they're all in the hands of troops or in for repairs, and you taking one means some trooper doesn't get his armor back. And you might set it up so the party's first mission takes them far from the front lines -- there's a series of major battles sucking up most of the resources, so for now these newly-minted knights are being sent to shore up a back line that isn't in good shape, but isn't threatening enough to divert a clone army for, and they're going to have to just make-do with what they have or can scrounge until the situation gets a little better on the main front. As their contribution rank rises, the can start asking for better gear and actually get responses from high command.

From a game perspective, if somebody really feels like they need to start with laminate armor, they are welcome to start at the base point for both Duty and Morality and get the 2500 credits instead (which is the cost of an armor suit), plus their 500 starting credits of gear and lightsaber. Most players will understand that if they can't afford the armor they want, it's because they've chosen to take the XP or a high morality or whatever, and they won't freak out over it.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:00 am 
n00b

Darth Pseudonym wrote:
LetsBbros wrote:

Based on this description I'm gonna assume you're starting as Knight Level characters, but everyone is assumed to be taking the lightsaber rather than 9,000 credits. Are you using only Morality or were you planning to use both Duty and Morality? Using both is fine, as long as the players are aware that one of the two is going to start at the base point (50 morality or 0 duty) and the other will be what they can trade for starting credits or XP.

I do recommend using Duty, since it's right there as a way to dole out acceptable amounts of materiel to the group. They can pick gear, ships, and other items based on their contributions to the cause.

If you feel like you need to explain why a galactic republic can't just give them anything they want, the very real logistics of a galaxy-wide war should be sufficient explanation: Even if there are millions of suits of armor around, they're all in the hands of troops or in for repairs, and you taking one means some trooper doesn't get his armor back. And you might set it up so the party's first mission takes them far from the front lines -- there's a series of major battles sucking up most of the resources, so for now these newly-minted knights are being sent to shore up a back line that isn't in good shape, but isn't threatening enough to divert a clone army for, and they're going to have to just make-do with what they have or can scrounge until the situation gets a little better on the main front. As their contribution rank rises, the can start asking for better gear and actually get responses from high command.

From a game perspective, if somebody really feels like they need to start with laminate armor, they are welcome to start at the base point for both Duty and Morality and get the 2500 credits instead (which is the cost of an armor suit), plus their 500 starting credits of gear and lightsaber. Most players will understand that if they can't afford the armor they want, it's because they've chosen to take the XP or a high morality or whatever, and they won't freak out over it.

Thank you very much for your thorough response!

Yes, we are doing knight-level play, yes, they will start with the lightsaber, and I hope to primarily use morality.

The only reason I have not considered using duty is that we just finished a rebel-based campaign, where duty was very much at the center of the plot.

But, I see your point, and I will probably use it again this time - but as a secondary system.

Thank you for your arguments and considerations!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:20 pm 
Jedi Apprentice

Keep in mind, too, that Jedi in Old Republic times are taught to eschew personal belongings. The Order will provide for their needs, but they are expected to rely on the Force rather than gadgets and money.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:12 am 
n00b

Keep in mind, too, that Jedi in Old Republic times are taught to eschew personal belongings. The Order will provide for their needs, but they are expected to rely on the Force rather than gadgets and money.

True, true, I will keep their rather ascetic lifestyle in mind. :D

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:01 am 
n00b

Hello forums, I have a question about droids!

What is the definition of a droid? What makes a droid different than a piece of tech/machinery? Is it sentience, size, mobility a combination of these?

The reason I’m asking is that I have an adept slicer and aspiring droid tech who wants to make a droid that helps him with his slicing checks. He described it as such “It will have a basic 'monotask' chassis, an average mechanics check to build. It would look like a black box with an input/output connection, kind of like an internet modem. I will be programming it with "labor directives", an easy computers check which would give it two ranks in any one general skill (in this case computers).”

I’m really struggling here to understand how this is a droid versus a piece of tech and the difference that would make going forward. I’m not opposed to the idea I just want to make sure I have guidelines in place so we don't end up with a droid army of small appliances. Or maybe that would be awesome and the only thing I need to monitor is how hard it would be to find the parts, build, and program a device vs a droid.

I would love to know your thoughts. I think our slicer could make some really interesting things here but I’m wary of drowning in them.

Thanks!

GM Jlady

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next

Board index » d20 Radio Podcasts » Tabletop RPG Podcasts » The Order 66 Podcast - FFG Edition