Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Post subject: Is "Jacen Baurne" a Reasonable Starting Character
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:37 am 
Jedi Knight

Ok, I haven't played EotE yet but wanted to have a character ready when I get the opportunity. I've read the Beta book and week 11 update, but I'm not sure I got all the rules right, so if you could check those for me and critique the build.

by the way, I ran the numbers and the stats and 3 green dice are "better" than 2 yellow dice (I started a thread to that effect on the edge of the empire forum, I can show you the math if you like)

Name: “Jacen Baurne” is alias provided by a Crimelord.
Concept: "Jacen" was a mercenary who had a severe injury, lost his memory, and was patched up with plastic surgery so current face is not original. He doesn’t remember what he originally looked like or what his real name is. He is trying to discover who he was before. I would like Jacen to have 2 repli-limb arms so that he doesn’t have finger prints and can’t use those to identify who he was before. Jacen’s DNA isn’t in any data base that he’s checked so far.
Obligation: normal + 15 (+10XP + 1000 credits). Blackmail the crimelord who “Jacen” was working for when he got injured and had him patched up knows who “Jacen” really is. The Crimelord is using this leverage to get Jacen to serve as muscle/protection at cut rate prices until “Jacen” has paid him back for the medical care (i.e. Jacen is accompanying the party as an agent of the crimelord). The Crimelord knows Jacen will do everything in his power to keep him alive and happy because otherwise it’s unlikely that he’ll never find out who he was.
Motivation: Discover who he was
Human Male
Starting XP 110 + 10
Brawn 3 (30) Cunning 3 (30)
Presence 2 Agility 3 (30)
Intellect 2 Willpower 3 (30)
Career: Hired Gun, Specialization: Mercenary Soldier (working towards Bodyguard and Thief)
Career Skills: Athletics, Discipline, Leadership, Pilot (Planet), Resilience, Vigilance, Brawl, Melee, Gunnery, Ranged (light), Ranged(heavy)
Trained Skills: Athletics 1 [Brawn], Discipline 1 [Willpower], Vigilance 1 [Willpower], Stealth 1 [Agility], Streetwise 1 [Cunning], Brawl 1 [Brawn], Ranged (light) 1 [Agility], Ranged (Heavy) 1 [Agility]
Wound Threshold 13
Strain Threshold 13
Soak 5
Encumbrance Threshold: 5+Brawn=8
Current Encumbrance: 6
Starting Credits: 1500 (+d100 pocket change, spent the 1500 on the following gear)
Gear
Blaster carbine
Skill Ranged (Heavy)
Damage 9
Crit 3
Range Long
Enc 3
Hard Points 4
Price 850
Rarity 5
Special Stun Setting
padded armor
Defense 0
Soak 2
Cost 500
Enc 2
Hard Points 0
Rarity 1
Extra reloads 2 (50) Enc 2
Comlink (25) Enc 0
Stimpacks 1 (25) Enc 0
Ration packs 5 (25) Enc 0
Utility Belt (25) Add 1 Enc
and check if GM will throw in 2 repli-limb arms as free starting equipment for story reasons (it also makes him vulnerable to ion damage)

Last edited by EliasWindrider on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Is "Jacen Baurne" a Reasonable Starting Character
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:41 am 
Jedi Master

No.

Jah'sn Bo'ren on the other hand..... maybe.

:)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:06 am 
Council Member

The only problem I see is the extra amount of Obligation, which only works if you've two or three players. I don't have the book handy for page reference, but there's a hard cap that you can't take more Obligation than your PC's starting value. Groups of 4 or 5 players have a starting Obligation of 10, and 6 or more have a 5.

If you do run into said hard-cap (not sure if this is for a game or just a random PC build), you're either going to have to drop a Charactistic or sacrifice a lot of that nifty gear, depending on the Obligation cap.

Said cap is part of the reason I try to avoid going above a +5 Obligation for my EotE Heroes on Demand entries, as I've know way of knowing what the size of a group will be and I want those characters to be ready to roll with no modifications required.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog
Follow me on Twitter at @donovan421 (warning: expect lots of cute critter retweets)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:43 am 
Sith Lord

I'm assuming your starting Brawn and Cunning are each supposed to be at 3.

Otherwise, what Dono and Fiddleback said :)

PS: note that a cybernetic limb itself is the only thing that "vulnerable" to in damage. It's a cool ruleset, in that basically says that the replacement stops working and then calls on the GM to come up with details that "make sense." Ex. you would only be able to use your arms as improvised bludgeons for the rest of the scene. Glorious.

Edge of the Empire: Beta Updates, crib sheets, and other goodies

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:39 am 
Jedi Knight

Donovan Morningfire wrote:
The only problem I see is the extra amount of Obligation, which only works if you've two or three players. I don't have the book handy for page reference, but there's a hard cap that you can't take more Obligation than your PC's starting value. Groups of 4 or 5 players have a starting Obligation of 10, and 6 or more have a 5.

If you do run into said hard-cap (not sure if this is for a game or just a random PC build), you're either going to have to drop a Charactistic or sacrifice a lot of that nifty gear, depending on the Obligation cap.

Said cap is part of the reason I try to avoid going above a +5 Obligation for my EotE Heroes on Demand entries, as I've know way of knowing what the size of a group will be and I want those characters to be ready to roll with no modifications required.

I didn't know about the hard cap thanks for that. It was a "random build" to have on hand if I ever got the opportunity to play (I'm usually the GM, I've been a player for RCR but never for SAGA)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:09 am 
Sith Lord

EliasWindrider wrote:
I didn't know about the hard cap thanks for that. It was a "random build" to have on hand if I ever got the opportunity to play (I'm usually the GM, I've been a player for RCR but never for SAGA)

I feel your pain :( There's always PbP though!

Edge of the Empire: Beta Updates, crib sheets, and other goodies