Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Edge of The Empire

Post subject: Multiple Hit Monsters?
 Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:01 am 
Padawan Learner

OK.
Fast question that came up recently...

My group is playing through Beyond The Rim, and the characters are fighting the nexu cats.
Their stat block says that they can attack with claws, bite, tail.

But here is where I am getting confused...

On the nexu's turn, do they get to attack with ALL three (claws AND bite AND tail), or just one of those (Claws OR bite OR tail) as a single action?

Nexu should be badassed, so I am leaning towards all three.

Or is there a rules clarification that I am missing?

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4_dZPVg8KI

Post subject: Re: Multiple Hit Monsters?
 Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:32 am 
Sith Lord

Nah, there ain't no claw-claw-bite in FFG. An attack action is with one weapon you have. The only way they could attack more than once is if they had a special ability that said they could, which they don't. And since 'one roll per turn' is pretty standard in FFG SW, normally anything like that will be more similar to the captive rancor's Sweep Attack, where it's kind of like a Blast, or the Narglatch's claws that have Linked 1. The Nexu would be picking from their three weapons depending on what you want to accomplish with them.

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:33 pm 
Padawan Learner

Thanks Darth Pseudonym for the quick response.

Since I keep thinking that nexu are burly beasts, what do you think of a house rule of the GM rolling an attack, and if I get 3 or 4 advantages, I could spend them on a second attack? And keep this rule to beasts only...

Or would that be too much?

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:25 pm 
Princess of Alderaan [Lead Moderator]

richarDISNEY wrote:
Thanks Darth Pseudonym for the quick response.

Since I keep thinking that nexu are burly beasts, what do you think of a house rule of the GM rolling an attack, and if I get 3 or 4 advantages, I could spend them on a second attack? And keep this rule to beasts only...

Or would that be too much?

Nope. Not unless you are going to let your players have that option for their PCs. That kind of stunt is getting dangerously close to D--kish GMing IMO. (There's plenty of other options for using that kind of Advantage.)

Henceforth, when I post in purple, I am posting as Lead Mod.

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:18 pm 
Sith Warrior

If you want to make the Nexu more dangerous by giving them extra attacks I think these are your best options:

Give their "claw" attack the Linked 1 weapon quality (letting you spend 2 Advantage on a successful attack to inflict another hit with the same damage). This is a little odd but not unprecedented, narratively the nexu attacking with two claws so there' s an inherent "second attack" there.

Another option is from the EotE GM kit and the F&D Core (Inquisitorius rules) where GMs can give particularly potent adversaries a second slot in the initiative order (the last slot) so they act twice in a single round. This is quite powerful and is probably overkill for a Nexu (though if you've got a high XP group then these sorts of rules can be used more often to balance things out).

Add another nexu to the encounter. This adds another attack to the round but it also adds another adversary they have to take out so it's more powerful than giving the nexu attacks Linked 1.

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:00 pm 
Sith Lord

So here's where I am on this.

FFG SW is really designed to have approximately equal numbers of heroes and villains in a fight (with a minion group counting as one). If you want to have the heroes battle a single nexu, yeah, you might ought to use the inquisitor rules to give it a second action per round (and probably add a rank of Adversary). But it's better to have a pack of nexu instead.

I definitely wouldn't go for Linked claws or a multi-attack thing. FFG SW doesn't deal well with huge damage numbers, since there's just not that many ways to heal outside of stimpacks. That is to say, a linked attack from a reasonably strong beast is like taking two hits from an automatic weapon -- it's very likely to drop the character, even from full health, unless they're really into armor or have insanely high wound threshold. And the system is specifically designed to avoid having multiple attack rolls per round, so that's a definite no-no. You need to at least give the PCs the chance to respond to one attack before throwing a second. I don't even like having two minion groups act right in a row and target the same PC...

If you want a scary boss monster to fight, the inquisitor rules are the way to go. Make it a nemesis nexu with 2 to 3 ranks of Adversary and a second action at the end of the round, and you'll have what you want. You might have to increase its wound threshold to something like the Inquisitor rules suggest, since it'll be taking everyone's focused damage output.

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:53 am 
Sith Warrior

I think Darth P makes some great points. Linked 1 creature attacks isn't unprecedented (I know that, at least, there is one in Onslaught at Arda I) but they can be very deadly. I'd also consider the attack dice pool, if it's 2Y1G then Linked 1 is not terribly likely to trigger (and if it does it won't likely be on the higher end of damage spectrum), but if you're rolling 4 or 5 dice in the attack pool then Linked with extra successes for higher damage both become more likely.
But maybe you've got a medic/doctor in the group so they'll get a chance to quickly patch someone up and get them back in the fight.
It all depends on your group makeup.

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:08 pm 
Sith Lord

There's another simple (and, I think, valid) solution. Namely, allow the Nexu to use two-weapon combat (EotE p. 210). This would increase the difficulty, and allow multiple hits with enough Advantage. The Nexu wouldn't have access to anything the PCs don't have access to. And the increased difficulty would balance the additional potential damage. Just a thought.

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:17 am 
Padawan Learner

Thanks Darth Pseudonym.
I didn't think of using the inquisitor rules for it.
That would work.
Last night, against three nexu, the PCs (4 PCs) had no issues with dealing with them quickly.
This offers no challenge or feeling of danger and excitement to the game.
I like the idea of adding an adversary talent to them too...

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:19 am 
Padawan Learner

GM Jedi-Scoundrel, two weapon combat???
*smacks head* :x
The PCs are using that all the time.
Why didn't I think of that!
Stupid me....

Board index » Role Playing Game Discussion » Star Wars RPG by FFG » Edge of The Empire