Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » d20 Radio Podcasts » Tabletop RPG Podcasts » Chronicles: The Pathfinder Podcast

Post subject: Terra Clips Storage Containers!
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:00 am 
GM

http://www.pathfinder-podcast.com/?page_id=219

I've uploaded a few pictures so you can see what I was talking about in 016.

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Terra Clips Storage Containers!
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:48 am 
Super Hero in Training

This is an OCD Nerdgasm! :D I love it!
How do you organize your minis? I know you and Steel said you have probably have thousands of minis between D&D and Star Wars things.
I have tons of them myself, but have them sprinkled around everywhere in different boxes of toys. Pics always appreciated!

PS: Happy Thanksgiving!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:22 pm 
GM

I have mine sorted in storage containers.

For D&D Minis, I have

Storage at Home:

1) Huge Mini Box: Is a huge oversized storage case for CDs (it would hold probably 150 in cases) that I use for huges.

2) Large Minis Box(es): I have another large plastic "file" storage box which I use for large size figs, which is well past overstuffed now and I am using the recent WotC Dragon Collector's Set cardboard box to hold the large fig overflow. That's not a terribly practical solution right now so I need to fix this situation as I have FAR too many large figs for this to be practical. It takes me WAY too long to find a mini I need and I got to go hunting too often to do it.

3) NPCs -- Medium and Small Humonoids Box: Human/Dwarf/Ef/Halfling/Gnome: Essentially, all minis which could be a PC are stored in a CCG card box normally used to store 1000 cards. The first one of these minis, if not obviously a guard or soldier fig, goes in the potential PC minis box. All subsequent copies go in the NPC humanoid box. Because dwarves and half-orcs aren't very popular as PC races in PAthfinder, I do tend to not bother to carry to many of them in my PC box, mind you.

My biggest complaint? There are not enough female humanoid minis of any race. They really need to fix this. I would especailly like to see a half-dozen middle-class female villagers that might double up as a corceress/wizard and three or four high class noble women. I don't need 300 of them -- but 8 or 10 uniques? Yes, please and thank-you.

Some male villagers and kids would be nice too. Generally speaking, we need way more scene setting NPC commoners.

4) "Go-To Monster Box": All undead, elementals, goblins and kobolds I keep in a CCG card box for 500 ccards. Thiis one is uncomfortably full, but still usable.

5) Animals: All animals are stored in another CCG crad box for 500 cards, and this one is so overstuffed that the lid won't even come CLOSE to closing on it.

6) Potential PCs Box: All potential PC minis are stored in a CCG Card box for 200 cards. I keep this one in my Zuca gaming bag and it's the only box I actually bring to every session. Essentially, if I have multiples of any human/dwarf/elf/halfling/gnome minis, at least one of those goes in the "PC mini box". If I have only one of them, it also goes in the PC mini box, unless it is very clearly a guard or other utility mini -- then it goes in the "humanoids" box. All multiple instances of these minis go in the humanoids box.

7) Everything Else: I have one very large fold-over lidded cardboard box which is used to store all tiny, small and medium figs that do NOT fit with one of the above categories. Everything else that isn't a large or huge goes in the "everything else" box., which is not a CCG storage box, but is large enough to store about 4000 cards if it were used for that purpose. Orcs, draconians, gnolls. minotarus, ibixes, stirges, bugbears, lizardfolk, serpent folk,, etc., literally - everything else. It all goes in that box if it isn't an animal, undead, elemental, goblin or kobold, PC humanoid, large or huge.

It's not terribly practical as I do have to do a fair bit of hunting to find the mini I am looking for if I am forced to look in the "Everything Else" box. Thankfully, I don't have to do that all tht often as most encounters in PFS are humanoids, animals, or "Go-To monsters".

Storage to Bring to the Game

I don't actually bring any of the above to a game, other than the box with poential PC minis in it which I always leave in my Zuca gaming bag. I do, however, use two smaller 100 CCG cardboard boxes to hold the minis I'm using in the game that night. One is for me and I usually bring a box of monis for the other GM who is running PFS on the other table that night.

Typically, on a Monday night, I will get out the PFS Scenarios and have a look at the encounter lists for each scenario and go through the storage containers to move them to the small "game night" boxes. I'll empty the game night box from last week abd sort it back into the above boxes, then assemble the next evening's required figs. Wash, rinse, repeat weekly.

My Star Wars minis I have in a black steel cabinet, 6 feet high, 3 feet wide and 20" deep. five shelfs in total. It's a Big Black VERY heavy lockable steel cabinet that you might see at a Staples or a higher end harware store. About $300-$400 or so. Because of all the ships and many huges and large minis, they actually do occupy lmost all of the shelf space in that cabinet when displayed. I don't run Star Wars:SE outside of the house, so there is no need to box those up or make them transportable. It's locked because otherwise, my youngest son would be grabbing those minis, playing with them and losing them or letting my dogs eat them -- which happened anyway far more often than I would like. Since they got moved to a lockable cabinet, that put an end to my son getting access to my Star Wars minis (I bought him some for his very own to lose and destroy!)

I'll see if I can get a few pics of all of this at some point.

By the way, the bag which I use for transporting my stuff to and from the game is a ZUCA, which I bought expressly for gaming purposes and which ROCKS.

The bag lies within an exceptionally sturdy metal frame, with wheels that glide as smoothly as a set of decent inline skates and it is utterly silent (though the wheels light up in the dark through electrostatic LED lights within the hub powered by the revolution of the wheels, which is all kinds of BLING flashy. The Zuca is large enough to carry:

• 1 copy of each of the Core Rules, Bestiary 1, 2, APG, UC+UM with room for the GMG if you like (which I don't bring with me to a PFS game normally) and the Bestiary 3 when released.
  • There is also room for my combat pad and 50-80 pages of paper, Chronicle Sheets. in a file folder, etc.;
  • a half dozen flip-mats;
  • 3 box of minis,
  • a medium size box of Cottonelle baby wipes (used for cleaning up flip-mats for both wet and dry erase. Yes, baby wipes are essential gaming gear. Who knew?)
  • a few decks of Paizo cards,
  • two full pouches of dice (a couple of pounds 'o dice, at least, between both pouches),
  • scissors, highlighter, sticky tags, 24 pencils, Staedtler wet erase and dry erase pens, etc., paper clips, etc.

The whole thing runs on wheels which are like those on a decent skateboard, has another pair mounted on the frame. The extr wheels are present for easy stair climbing when the bag is being pulled. The bottom two wheels flicker and glow with led lights when the thing is moving.

The steel case has a built in exendable handle, a more sturdy handle when the extension is pushed back down in the cart, and the steel frma doubles as a seat if you need to sit down and wait for something. Zuca says their frame easily supports someone who is 300 lbs to sit on it.

The bag is heavy nylon with a multitide of zipperd pouches, velcro this, that and the other thing, mesh overflow carriers on the outside of the bag as well as one inside (I store critical cards, condition cards, NPC cards in there and an emergency pack of smokes!)

It's not a cheap bag -- but it is far and away the best general purpose gaming bag that money can buy. They were on sale on the Gen Con floor five years ago for about $150 or so and I didn't get one at the time. It was a mistake that I regretted for many years as I looked in vain where to find that bag as I had forgotten the manufacturer's name.

I finally found a link to it last summer on some random Google hit and quickly located a local distribuotr for the product in Toronto who actually works a block away form me. She came and dropped it off at my office a few days before this past GenCon. I LOVE my Zuca. Highly recommended.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:47 pm 
Gamer

You had me a 'LED Lights'

In a world full of people only some what to fly, isn't that crazy? (Seal)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:07 am 
Super Hero in Training

Happy new year!

Any chance of getting pics of these in use?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:05 pm 
Gamer

Steel_Wind wrote:

For D&D Minis, I have

Storage at Home:

1) Huge Mini Box: Is a huge oversized storage case for CDs (it would hold probably 150 in cases) that I use for huges.

2) Large Minis Box(es): I have another large plastic "file" storage box which I use for large size figs, which is well past overstuffed now and I am using the recent WotC Dragon Collector's Set cardboard box to hold the large fig overflow. That's not a terribly practical solution right now so I need to fix this situation as I have FAR too many large figs for this to be practical. It takes me WAY too long to find a mini I need and I got to go hunting too often to do it.

3) NPCs -- Medium and Small Humonoids Box: Human/Dwarf/Ef/Halfling/Gnome: Essentially, all minis which could be a PC are stored in a CCG card box normally used to store 1000 cards. The first one of these minis, if not obviously a guard or soldier fig, goes in the potential PC minis box. All subsequent copies go in the NPC humanoid box. Because dwarves and half-orcs aren't very popular as PC races in PAthfinder, I do tend to not bother to carry to many of them in my PC box, mind you.

My biggest complaint? There are not enough female humanoid minis of any race. They really need to fix this. I would especailly like to see a half-dozen middle-class female villagers that might double up as a corceress/wizard and three or four high class noble women. I don't need 300 of them -- but 8 or 10 uniques? Yes, please and thank-you.

Some male villagers and kids would be nice too. Generally speaking, we need way more scene setting NPC commoners.

4) "Go-To Monster Box": All undead, elementals, goblins and kobolds I keep in a CCG card box for 500 ccards. Thiis one is uncomfortably full, but still usable.

5) Animals: All animals are stored in another CCG crad box for 500 cards, and this one is so overstuffed that the lid won't even come CLOSE to closing on it.

6) Potential PCs Box: All potential PC minis are stored in a CCG Card box for 200 cards. I keep this one in my Zuca gaming bag and it's the only box I actually bring to every session. Essentially, if I have multiples of any human/dwarf/elf/halfling/gnome minis, at least one of those goes in the "PC mini box". If I have only one of them, it also goes in the PC mini box, unless it is very clearly a guard or other utility mini -- then it goes in the "humanoids" box. All multiple instances of these minis go in the humanoids box.

7) Everything Else: I have one very large fold-over lidded cardboard box which is used to store all tiny, small and medium figs that do NOT fit with one of the above categories. Everything else that isn't a large or huge goes in the "everything else" box., which is not a CCG storage box, but is large enough to store about 4000 cards if it were used for that purpose. Orcs, draconians, gnolls. minotarus, ibixes, stirges, bugbears, lizardfolk, serpent folk,, etc., literally - everything else. It all goes in that box if it isn't an animal, undead, elemental, goblin or kobold, PC humanoid, large or huge.

It's not terribly practical as I do have to do a fair bit of hunting to find the mini I am looking for if I am forced to look in the "Everything Else" box. Thankfully, I don't have to do that all tht often as most encounters in PFS are humanoids, animals, or "Go-To monsters".

I don't actually bring any of the above to a game, other than the box with poential PC minis in it which I always leave in my Zuca gaming bag. I do, however, use two smaller 100 CCG cardboard boxes to hold the minis I'm using in the game that night. One is for me and I usually bring a box of monis for the other GM who is running PFS on the other table that night.

Typically, on a Monday night, I will get out the PFS Scenarios and have a look at the encounter lists for each scenario and go through the storage containers to move them to the small "game night" boxes. I'll empty the game night box from last week abd sort it back into the above boxes, then assemble the next evening's required figs. Wash, rinse, repeat weekly.

My Star Wars minis I have in a black steel cabinet, 6 feet high, 3 feet wide and 20" deep. five shelfs in total. It's a Big Black VERY heavy lockable steel cabinet that you might see at a Staples or a higher end harware store. About $300-$400 or so. Because of all the ships and many huges and large minis, they actually do occupy lmost all of the shelf space in that cabinet when displayed. I don't run Star Wars:SE outside of the house, so there is no need to box those up or make them transportable. It's locked because otherwise, my youngest son would be grabbing those minis, playing with them and losing them or letting my dogs eat them -- which happened anyway far more often than I would like. Since they got moved to a lockable cabinet, that put an end to my son getting access to my Star Wars minis (I bought him some for his very own to lose and destroy!)

By the way, the bag which I use for transporting my stuff to and from the game is a ZUCA, which I bought expressly for gaming purposes and which ROCKS.

The bag lies within an exceptionally sturdy metal frame, with wheels that glide as smoothly as a set of decent inline skates and it is utterly silent (though the wheels light up in the dark through electrostatic LED lights within the hub powered by the revolution of the wheels, which is all kinds of BLING flashy. The Zuca is large enough to carry:

• 1 copy of each of the Core Rules, Bestiary 1, 2, APG, UC+UM with room for the GMG if you like (which I don't bring with me to a PFS game normally) and the Bestiary 3 when released.
  • There is also room for my combat pad and 50-80 pages of paper, Chronicle Sheets. in a file folder, etc.;
  • 3 box of minis,
  • a medium size box of Cottonelle baby wipes (used for cleaning up flip-mats for both wet and dry erase. Yes, baby wipes are essential gaming gear. Who knew?)
  • two full pouches of dice (a couple of pounds 'o dice, at least, between both pouches),
  • scissors, highlighter, sticky tags, 24 pencils, Staedtler wet erase and dry erase pens, etc., paper clips, etc.

The whole thing runs on wheels which are like those on a decent skateboard, has another pair mounted on the frame. The extr wheels are present for easy stair climbing when the bag is being pulled. The bottom two wheels flicker and glow with led lights when the thing is moving.

The steel case has a built in exendable handle, a more sturdy handle when the extension is pushed back down in the cart, and the steel frma doubles as a seat if you need to sit down and wait for something. Zuca says their frame easily supports someone who is 300 lbs to sit on it.

The bag is heavy nylon with a multitide of zipperd pouches, velcro this, that and the other thing, mesh overflow carriers on the outside of the bag as well as one inside (I store critical cards, condition cards, NPC cards in there and an emergency pack of smokes!)

It's not a cheap bag -- but it is far and away the best general purpose gaming bag that money can buy. They were on sale on the Gen Con floor five years ago for about $150 or so and I didn't get one at the time. It was a mistake that I regretted for many years as I looked in vain where to find that bag as I had forgotten the manufacturer's name.

I finally found a link to it last summer on some random Google hit and quickly located a local distribuotr for the product in Toronto who actually works a block away form me. She came and dropped it off at my office a few days before this past GenCon. I LOVE my Zuca. Highly recommended.

Way to Type-A that!!!!

In a world full of people only some what to fly, isn't that crazy? (Seal)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:03 am 
n00b

Saintmac wrote:
Steel_Wind wrote:

For D&D Minis, I have

[u]Storage at Home:

7) Everything Else: I have one very large fold-over lidded cardboard box which is used to store all tiny, small and medium figs that do NOT fit with one of the above categories. Everything else that isn't a large or huge goes in the "everything else" box., which is not a CCG storage box, but is large enough to store about 4000 cards if it were used for that purpose. Orcs, draconians, gnolls. minotarus, ibixes, stirges, bugbears, lizardfolk, serpent folk,, etc., literally - [color=#FFFFFF]everything else
. It all goes in that box if it isn't an animal, undead, elemental, goblin or kobold, PC humanoid, large or huge.

The bag lies within an exceptionally sturdy metal frame, with wheels that glide as smoothly as a set of decent inline skates and it is utterly silent (though the wheels light up in the dark through electrostatic
led light within the hub powered by the revolution of the wheels, which is all kinds of BLING flashy. The Zuca is large enough to carry:

• 3 box of minis,

I finally found a link to it last summer on some random Google hit and quickly located a local distribuotr for the product in Toronto who actually works a block away form me. She came and dropped it off at my office a few days before this past GenCon. I LOVE my Zuca. Highly recommended[/u].

Way to Type-A that!!!!

Thanks for sharing this very useful information..I was looking for it and finally got this useful post

Board index » d20 Radio Podcasts » Tabletop RPG Podcasts » Chronicles: The Pathfinder Podcast