Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » d20 Radio Podcasts » Tabletop RPG Podcasts » Chronicles: The Pathfinder Podcast

Post subject: A World Without Undead
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:41 am 
Sith Lord

(First off, apologies if this is in the wrong place. If it is, please feel free to move it.)

I'm in the process of planning a Pathfinder campaign set in a homebrew realm, and I'm throwing a few twists in the established conceits of the game. The biggest one is that undead simply do not exist (yet at any rate). They cannot be created through magic, and they don't exist naturally. The plot will be revolving around this point.

Now, obviously this cuts out some obvious spells and some ability packages like the Oracle's Bones mystery and the Sorcerer's Undead bloodline. It also affects how clerics use their channel energy. But beyond that, I'm not entirely sure. I've been out of the 3.5/Pathfinder game for a long time, and while I'm finding I'm getting my sea legs back so to speak, I'm wondering what other ramifications rules-wise this type of shift would carry.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions as well as things I may have missed in my research.

AsaTJ wrote:
Cyril wrote:
Only if I can call him one bad motheryubber in game.

And every once in a while, I am reminded why this is the best forum community on the Internet.

PBP Characters
ARC 84-1263

Post subject: Re: A World Without Undead
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:45 am 
d20 Radio Sponsor

While I am not a rules guru for the game, I don't know of any major mechanical changes that would result from this.

In fact, I would say that creatures that derive power from negative energy need not be described as undead. If you want to keep clerical functionality as well as the function of the other things, just re-skin all of the undead as living creatures that draw power from negative energy.

"A zombie by any other name would still hunger for life"

Or, if that's not what you are going for, like if your doing a riff on Game of Thrones, then simply remove the spells and abilities that affect undead, but leave the cleric as is, because the channel negative energy still has a function other than undead.

And since Turn/Rebuke are now feats and not class features, you don't have to worry about nerfing the cleric class.

Let me know if this helps or if your are going for something completely different.

Post subject: Re: A World Without Undead
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:50 pm 
GM

Here's my initial thoughts on your idea:

No Undead - Do you still intend to have Negative Energy and/or critters that use it? If the answer is no, then maybe in addition to removing the obvious Cleric/Oracle/Sorc options, you'll want to also change the way Positive Energy works in your game? Instead of a Ying w/out a Yang, maybe shift healing magic away from the Positive and into the Nature spectrum?
If the answer is yes, then I would remove the preconception of alignment as it is related to Positive and Negative energies. Present them as forces of the universe (matter v anti-matter) instead of the energy fueling goodness and evil.

~@~

Board index » d20 Radio Podcasts » Tabletop RPG Podcasts » Chronicles: The Pathfinder Podcast