Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » d20 Radio Podcasts » Tabletop RPG Podcasts » Chronicles: The Pathfinder Podcast

Post subject: How does Terrain effect combat?
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:17 am 
n00b

I cant seem to find it in the books, EG in Rolemaster you had to make Movement & manouerves or take a penalty to hit/def etc. Is it the same in Pathfinder, is there a table for slippery terrain for example ? Your help would be appreciated.
The reason being my encounters are sort of structured
Setting
Lighting/light source
Terrain
Monsters
Its sort of my check list
Ive listened to podcast 1 - its by far the best table top podcast out there, keep up the good work!

from an old school player in the UK

cheers

Subi

Post subject: Re: How does Terrain effect combat?
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:36 pm 
GM

The Environment is dealt with in Chapter 13. While much of the advice is in the context of adventuring, combat notes are also presented there, too. Many environments will have different impacts upon play, including combat.

The big issue to keep in mind is difficult terrain. Anything which counts as "difficult terrain" usually affects movement cost, but as a practical matter, the key idea is that it prevents a 5' step during combat. This means that moving a mere 5' may provoke an AoO and will prevent multiple attacks from being employed as a full attack action.

Elevation grants bonuses to attackers in melee, but not with missile fire.

Underwater combats greatly lessen the effect of virtually all attacks except for those that do piercing damage. Underwater, thrusting spears are good -- great axes? Not so much.

And so it goes. There really is no substitute for reading Chapter 13. But again, the single biggest issue to keep in mind is when the combat is taking place in difficult terrain. Because the 5' step is so central to combat, anything which prevents it is absolutely critical to pay attention to.

Thanks for the question. If you have that opinion about episode 1, then you are likely to really enjoy the later episodes. Episode 1 was a stinker in so many ways :)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:51 am 
n00b

Thank Mate
Ill give it a good read .
I spent a night listening and im upto Podcast 11.
The highlights so far have to be either :
1. The park ranger from derby england , running around the peak district with a bow and arrow... priceless!!!
2. The lighting rules explained ,we ran it last night , and it changed combat ... game changing brilliance!!!!

Thanks for the podcasts and keep it up !!! But by the sounds of it you have more games going on than me !!! Hope you get around to doing rise of the runelords .

Quick question, i notice you have a game on Twitch TV via the grumpy gm, is there a link to it ?

Cheers

Subi

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:57 am 
n00b

Hi! I'm new here!! I'm also wondering about terrain effect combat .. :idea:
want to learn more...

Board index » d20 Radio Podcasts » Tabletop RPG Podcasts » Chronicles: The Pathfinder Podcast